The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a doe (unknown age) that kidded in January 2020. She has been kept with her kid all year (they were my first two goats I brought home) I did not milk and allowed her to wean naturally (which took a very long time- probably 7months?).

She has always been somewhat sunken in around her hips, but today I notice that it seems worse to where her backbone is more prominent. I can feel her ribs slightly but they aren’t showing and her chest doesn’t feel bony at all.

She was copper bloused a couple of weeks ago and I switched their free choice loose mineral to one suggested by this group. I feed free choice Timothy hay and they have access to pasture. I also feed about 3 cups alfalfa pellets and 2 cups Country Feeds 16% medicated pellet that is shared between her, her 10 month old kid, and two 4 month old doelings.

I have tested decals several times this year and she’s always completely clean. I’m going to send one out this week, but FAMACHA looks great.

Should I be concerned? Any suggestions? Or is this normal given her situation?

I attached pictures, but it’s hard to see the sunken in. Im sorry this is long, just wanted to give as much info as possible! Thanks for any help!
Grass Liver Fawn Plant Groundcover
Plant Dog breed Tree Grass Terrestrial animal
Bird Beak Plant Grass Groundcover
Eye Plant Working animal Tree Dog breed
Plant Tree Sky Grass Wood

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,765 Posts
Does she have mites/lice?

When was the last time she had a fecal done?

Is she still making milk?

When did she wean her kid?

Is she getting Selenium monthly?

What kind of minerals is she getting?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m not sure on the mites/lice. I have suspected that she may because my girls seem itchy all the time, but I haven’t seen any other evidence.

Last fecal was end of July. No worms or cocci. I’m going to send one out this week.

I don’t know how to tell if she is still making milk. Her udder is small, but not completely shrunken if that makes sense. I haven’t seen any nursing in 2ish months.

I do not give selenium. Recently switched them from Manna Goat Mineral to Purina Wind & Rain All Season Cattle Mineral after recommendations from a separate thread.

No apology needed! I appreciate the time and help!

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,765 Posts
I’m not sure on the mites/lice. I have suspected that she may because my girls seem itchy all the time, but I haven’t seen any other evidence.

Last fecal was end of July. No worms or cocci. I’m going to send one out this week.

I don’t know how to tell if she is still making milk. Her udder is small, but not completely shrunken if that makes sense. I haven’t seen any nursing in 2ish months.

I do not give selenium. Recently switched them from Manna Goat Mineral to Purina Wind & Rain All Season Cattle Mineral after recommendations from a separate thread.

No apology needed! I appreciate the time and help!
I'd definitely get a fecal done. I personally have never heard too many good things about that mineral but I dont use it so I really cant say much. I would still give selenium monthly. Its very important.

I definitely think worms could have a play in this. If you can barely feel her ribs she sound like she's fine, except not have a very full rumen.

Your welcome! I just hope shes okay!!🌹

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Maybe up the feed so that each get 1 cup twice a day... and alot of hay, like free choice or a couple flakes 2 times a day for them all
Sorry I see you have been feeding free choice hay!

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I'd definitely get a fecal done. I personally have never heard too many good things about that mineral but I dont use it so I really cant say much. I would still give selenium monthly. Its very important.

I definitely think worms could have a play in this. If you can barely feel her ribs she sound like she's fine, except not have a very full rumen.

Your welcome! I just hope shes okay!!🌹

Be careful when telling people to give selenium monthly. That depends on where the herd lives, how they do with the sel in their soil and what form is given among other things. Selenium is a tricky thing... deficiency looks the same as od. And there is no way of knowing which it is. I know you are trying to help but sel is just a very fine balance to tip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve had her since January. I got her and her baby two days after she gave birth. She has looked about the same throughout the year with the sunken hips. Today she just looked thinner to me, but not crazy different.
I just worry about them and want to make sure I’m doing everything right! 🤪

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Might be that she had just given birth and that she was being nursed on this whole time! That can take a toll on them! My Molly looks thin now after giving birth, in the hips... I'm going to up her feed some while nursing!

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
The Purina Wind and Rain minerals are one of the better ones, a lot of people on this site use with with great success.

If it were me, while I waited for her fecal to come back I'd feed the grain separately, it sounds like her kid is hogging the food from mom!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts