The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Goats
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning to check on my pregnant doe who’s close and her eye was like this. It’s sunken in and funky. Her nose is also a little gunky. Anyone have any ideas? It wasn’t like this last night.
Here is her other eye for comparison.

·
Registered
Goats
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She’s had pale eyes, but I’ve been giving her red cell and trying to hold out until she gives birth to worm. Should I just go ahead and worm her? If I do, what are the realistic expectations for the baby

·
Registered
Goats
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@happybleats @Sfgwife @GoofyGoat @JML Farms
I don’t have any advice for you. Hopefully someone will come on who does.
What is her temperature?
When you say she is sick, what is it she does or does not do? does she chew cud?
Thank you. She’s grinding her teeth, acting kinda depressed, eyes are pale. I haven’t seen her chewing cud yet, but I gave them hay a little bit ago, so I’ll update you on that. She’s just not her usual self, not as energetic, doesn’t want her little goat pancake treats. She also looked to have staph on her udders, which is almost gone and I’ve been treating. She was doing a lot better two days ago, and then she started acting sick. I’m hoping it’s just close to labor sick and not she’s gonna die sick. The sunken eyes were really what scared me. She didn’t have that at 1 am when I went to check on her. I came out and saw the eyes this morning about 6:30. Temp is low at 99.9, but she was also moving around a fair bit.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
That temp is very low!! I wonder if she is bloated. When you put your ear by her rumen, do you her rumen noises? If no, and not chewing cud, I would treat for bloat. Room temperature dark beer, rumen massage with front feet up until she burps. My doe was cold when she had bloat. No grain, only hay if she is bloated.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Thank you. She’s grinding her teeth, acting kinda depressed, eyes are pale. I haven’t seen her chewing cud yet, but I gave them hay a little bit ago, so I’ll update you on that. She’s just not her usual self, not as energetic, doesn’t want her little goat pancake treats. She also looked to have staph on her udders, which is almost gone and I’ve been treating. She was doing a lot better two days ago, and then she started acting sick. I’m hoping it’s just close to labor sick and not she’s gonna die sick. The sunken eyes were really what scared me. She didn’t have that at 1 am when I went to check on her. I came out and saw the eyes this morning about 6:30. Temp is low at 99.9, but she was also moving around a fair bit.

Have you had a fecal done to see what worm load she has? And what worms are there? That needs be done. Some types are more aggressive than others.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Any scours or change in poops? Is her breathing labored? What color is the mucus discharge? Does her breath smell sweet? I''m concerned about pregnancy toxemia also. You mentioned she is almost due, lost her appetite, grinds her teeth, does she gaze off into space too? check out this article to see if this sounds like what's going on: Ketosis: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment

·
Super Moderator
32,307 Posts
All that's been said. Plus Sunken eyes can be dehydration. Get some molasses water in her. She may need Sub Q fluids.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Poor baby she looks miserable.
I was also going to mention sub q saline IV. ASAP, she’s dehydrated.
Also, I’d get some room temp flat dark beer into her to relax her and repopulate her rumen with good flora. Then give the probios a few hours later. You can safely use ivermectin or cydectin in later stage pregnancy. Use the injectable so there’s no bleed out.
Also, large doses of vitamin c chewables and calcium gummies along with free feed alfalfa hay and pellets. A protein tub would be good for her too. Free choice GOOD minerals is vital.
Fresh pine branches would hurt either
I hope she feels better soon!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts