The Goat Spot Forum banner

Sunken in?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CountyLineAcres 
#1 ·
I have a doe that kidded on Friday with twins. She still looks sunken in around the hips. She was quite round throughout her pregnancy but had no problems and was in good body condition. Is she skinny or is this normal? Does it just take a little while for them get back to normal and she is just stretched out?

#5 ·
How big were the kids? Was the labor a long one? Does she get exercise? Is she nursing the kids or are they bottle fed? Nursing kids helps return the uterus back to normal and exercise helps get the body back into shape, too. A long hard labor with big kids will have helped to deplete her fat reserves.

With good feed, quality hay and fresh water, she will return to her former condition in a short while. But, it does take awhile. Pregnancy and kidding does take a toll on a doe. That is why they should only be bred once a year.

#7 ·
How big were the kids? Was the labor a long one? Does she get exercise? Is she nursing the kids or are they bottle fed? Nursing kids helps return the uterus back to normal and exercise helps get the body back into shape, too. A long hard labor with big kids will have helped to deplete her fat reserves.

With good feed, quality hay and fresh water, she will return to her former condition in a short while. But, it does take awhile. Pregnancy and kidding does take a toll on a doe. That is why they should only be bred once a year.
The kids were twin buckings about 8 lbs each. I'm not sure how long the labor was-I was a school. She is nursing the kids. As for exercise, she gets some, not as much as I would like her to though. Her temp. is normal. She is drinking and eating very well. Her BCS is about 2.5-3. I thought it was probably normal but was just being a worrywart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.