Super Excited

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Jul 24, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So I have been placing ads on craigslist trying to find a "pasture" for my horses so that they have some munchies during the summer instead of only the hay that I have to feed year round because I have NO pasture till I can purchase some hot wire fencing to make temp ones out in the trees along the property - but budget is tight - so I was looking for land for less then 100.00 a month to put them on and I would self care with water and what not...

Nothing ...

When I was in Louisiana, my barn sitter sent a text that one of her friends was interested in "borrowing" some goats for the summer to clear the property that she inherited and it was about 2 acres of land and so I said sure - I have a few that could go and I would go look at the fencing and what not. Well I went out there today and it is HUGE and well fenced, her son, his girlfriend, and their 14 day old baby live on the land so some one is there everyday, they are going to do the watering and checking them daily, and what not. i was so excited. I planned on sending 6 goats.

Well I get there - and the land is ALOT bigger and so I mentioned - well why don't you put a couple horses on here also cause there is alot of orchard grass mix on the land. She said that she offered our mutual friend to put her horses there but my friend already had a place for hers. That was when I mentioned I have two horses also - she said "bring them along!!!" I was :leap: :leap:

So now I am sending 6 goats (all standards) and 2 horses there for the next 3 months or so -----

AND get this - there is irrigation already set up so she said if it starts getting low before it is time to bring them home - then they will water so that there is more feed!!!

She already gave me the code to the locked gate and said I can come and go as I please - and I can ride out there to keep Knickers going and work with Vernie also.....and the best part - IT IS FREE :stars: :stars: :stars: Do you realize how much money I will save in hay????

So I am sending -

Dora - Alpine x milker
    Lola - Boer Sanaan
    Fire - NOA Nubian
    Saki - wether
    Edward - wether
    Bucky - Nubian Buck
    Vernie - Paint Mare
    Knickers - Quarter Horse Mare

And here is a pic that I took with my phone of the property -

[​IMG]

we are going to finish enclosing the shelter on 3 sides, there is a tub in there for water, you can see way back in the back a white fence - the property goes all the way to that fence, the tree on the right - the fence line is on the otherside of that tree, you can kind see on the left the houses - the fence butts up there - then behind me is the driveway, garage and small little house, and as of right now they can go up the house and to the front yard - but that will be fenced off shortly - so they will have from where I was standing everything you can see!

think they can clear it by late October?

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Thats great for you! What a relief!

You would be surprised though- with the two horses, they will have that eaten down to nubbies by October.
    I only have a few acres- but I have to rotate my horses through the paddocks and they only go onto the grass for a few hours a day, or it would be total dirt!
    I turned two mares out for a month in an acre field that was WAIST high- and they had it down to shoots in 4 weeks- AND they were getting grain twice a day :hair:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow! thats a great deal!! :cool:

they could probably clear it by oct.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The best part is - is that it is only 10 minutes from my work - so I can go up there afterwork while I am waiting for my hubby or if I want to go check on them at lunch I can also.

true - my big fat horses do eat alot (but that is my fault cause I overfeed them by a hair - LOL!

If it starts to get to eaten down, I can always bring the horses home early to - I guess...... but I think they will be so happy to be there and play - and it will be good for Vernie cause she can get used to the noises of a neighborhood and cars.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW! Thats great ! And yep....with 2 horses and 6 goats, they will have it trimmed down in no time, hopefully it'll last for awhile.

Great to be able to see them daily too.

6. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    As I have already told you I think this is great!!!!! They will be very happy there :greengrin: :thumb:

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    and since I will be sending a buck I am hoping to get some of my breeding done there so I don't have to worry about it ...... and I will have a milker or two in the winter - in case my Sandy dries or doesn't do well - although I HATE winter babies - but I will have the barn stall for kidding and can heat that pretty well. That would put them probobly February babies....

Would you wait to send the buck for a month or so - or go ahead and just send him right away - there really is no difference in weather Late dec, Jan, Feb even March

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats entirely up to you, seeing as the weather pretty much stays the same the first 3 months of the year, if you are willing to freeze your bucket off when their time comes then go for it!

BTW...I can't wait to see what Firecracker gives you!

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    well - I use water heaters - so not to worried about the watering - and the bucks will have their pen built by then - so that is another plus......

If I do this - I could potentially have 1 - 4 milkers giving birth and 5 milking - aghhhhhhh!

LOL! I am going to start a post about my "new" girl that is coming to the house - hehehe

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That's great Allison! :thumb: With two horses out there though...it'll be eaten up really quick, but yeah...like you said you can take them home early or whatever. Maybe you could even take some hay out there so they aren't just eating the grass all day. All that room will be good for them though!

11. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    If the weather is the same those months... then I would say go ahead and send him :thumb: And you can send some of that milk down here!!!!!!!!

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

That had nothing to do with water buckets :ROFL:

13. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: I was thinking you were talking about her rear instead of the buckets :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how much land is that? a couple acres or just a small lot? Doesnt look big in the picture bt what do I know. I fear the horses will eat it down much faster then the goats will. But even a month of being off hay will save you money. HOpe it works out real well.

As to the buck.....unless you want them all kidding at unknown times I wouldnt do it, but thats just me -- I dont like unkown due dates and I dont like being out in the cold LOL :p

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    She said that it was about 2 acres - but it looked close to 3 or so - but hubby is going to go out there with me and take a look and he has a better idea then I do!!!

HAHAHA Liz - now I understand what you were talking about ............ :ROFL:

About the breed dates - I will probobly send him out for a month, pull him, and then blood test - but since I will be going out every day or every other day - I can watch for sticky tails and what not...... and all these girls are so docile - I can be lig checking and udder checking - the only one that has not kidded with me before is Fire ... so I know about the other two and what they do.

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well then it will probably work if you want that many does bred -- or you could pull him once he breeds a couple girls and then bring him back when you want him to breed them again or wait till they are all home again

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    well, yesterday we dropped off Fire and Lola and they were doing great - trying to get in the house and everything - LOL!

Then today - I went and took Saki and Edward (the wethers), Lola, and the buck "Bucky".

And get this - Tumbleweed - my new nubian is coming home Monday - :stars:

My husband even said that there is way to much for them all to eat down so we definately need to bring the horses down - but they are sure in heaven!!