The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My yearling, I swear was a little meatier when we got her the beginning of the week. Not much, she was thin, her babe is BIG. But, her spine and hip bones seem very pronounced now. She's a fuzzy half togg so it's hard to see visually or I'd have taken a pic.

She's munching hay and browse. When I put grain out she runs for it but walks away when it's about half finished. Before the next feeding time, it's all gone, though.

I dosed her with probios this morning but I erred on caution and it wasn't a big dose. Figuring the move and sudden heat wave hampered appetite? She walks around fine and seems to have no troubles getting up and down. She's new so I'm not sure what "normal" is for her except she seems painfully thin. I'm new so I'm here for help.

oh, eyelids - upper eyelid looks a little pale but lower is a nice pink.

She was wormed the day she gave birth 3/31. I've ordered Molly's herbal worming to but it looks like it hasn't shipped yet. I don't know why but I thought it wasn't that long since she'd been wormed. I dug out the paperwork tonight because I wondered.

Should I wait for Molly's to arrive or do I need to give them a chem wormer now?

Electolytes and more Probios in the morning enough?

Worrying for nothing?

·
Super Moderator
59,787 Posts
If her eyelids are a good pink color, then I wouldn't worry about deworming. Probios doesn't hurt anything. You can't overdose it. I would give about 10g once a day for a week or so since she is new with you. Electrolytes never hurt. You could always feed her twice a day if you feel she needs more.

·
14,615 Posts
The stress of moving to a new place is probably what caused this.
When they get stressed wormloads bloom.
Perdonally I'd go ahead & worm chemically, if you use Ivermectin 1% injectable it is done orally at 1 ccpr 33lbs, then another dose in 10 days.
You cant OD her on probious.;)
If you have B complex that wouldnt hurt either. Dont have that dose off the top of my head.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My yearling, I swear was a little meatier when we got her the beginning of the week.
The stress of adjusting to a new place tends to knock them off feed for a while. Couple that with the stress of nursing a baby, and weight loss is to be expected. I wouldn't say you are worrying for nothing, but I would suggest that you try to not stress her further unless necessary. If possible, you also might consider giving her a little extra attention in the way of treats or a little feed and just sitting with her and talking to her. Depending on her personality, that helps with the transition period sometimes.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If possible, you also might consider giving her a little extra attention in the way of treats or a little feed and just sitting with her and talking to her. Depending on her personality, that helps with the transition period sometimes.
Bows came from a big herd and she had only been shown a little last year. So she isn't used to a lot of human attention but she is getting it now. Between my daughters and myself we spend a lot of time chatting with her and getting her comfortable with pets and treats. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts