The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some of you are familiar with my issues with my Nubian doe, cookie, who recently had a hefty battle with worms and is now dealing with anemia recovery. I just can't seem to stay on top of things with this little lady! I'm doing what I know to do, but every time I turn around I have another issue! She was having a runny bottom again last week but that's better. Dietary I suppose. Maybe too much alfalfa at once? Anyway, as time keeps passing, she continues to lose weight. She is bone thin. I see ribs. I know it's common to see hip bones in dairy goats, but not like this. I've never seen her this skinny. She still has an appetite and seems normal to me. She is extra vocal and has a little less energy than usual, but I was assuming the anemia was playing part in that. Maybe it's another issue? I don't know what to suspect or to look for. I don't WANT something to be wrong, but I don't want to ignore warning signs either. Any advice?

·
2,203 Posts
How old? Are you sure Johne's is not an option?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Have you had a fecal done?
I cant remember if she has been tested for CAE and Johnes disease?
shes is between a rock and hard place...She needs feed to gain weight but not while scouring! poor gal

I would :
Stop feed, give C D Antitoxin and Pepto..give her all the hay and alflafa she wants, loose minerals and electrolytes as well as fresh water
for anemia
I would continue her red cell or iron doses weekly
B 12 shots daily...or I like the B complex plus with has plenty of 12 in it but all the others too...good for stress, apitite and energy
Mix 50/50 water and ACV and dose 20 cc daily

Once she is dry I would slowly start her on feed again...adding Calf manna and BOSS and possibly Shredded Beet Pulp..

·
Registered
30,581 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had a fecal done about a month ago. We gave her Valbazen for the worms she had and a repeat dose 2 weeks later. No cocci. No testing done for Johne's that I know of. She is not scouring now and she is on high protein grain plus premium alfalfa hay, along with grass hay and browse. I have been giving her red cell daily. Oops! I'll drop that to weekly from now on I suppose. Giving b complex daily as well as acv. I'll read up on Johne's to see if that might be worth considering as a possibility. She is my favorite sweetie. Sure would hate to lose her to ignorance.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Opps sorry missed the part that the runs are better...:D

Anemia takes time to recover from...
to add healthy fat try mixing ground flax seed, wheat germ and coconut oil...feed about 1 tablespoon or so twice daily..my girls will eat it right off the spoon...they love it and it helps with their coat as well as add a good healthy fat.
you can add BOSS and Calf Manna to her feed as well...
but with full access to hay and alfalfa and high protien feed, she should not be thin... I would def. check into johnes disease testing and re take the fecal test as well...some need wormer 3 times 10 days apart...then once again in 30

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I'm reading, it seems bleak if it is Johne's. No cure? :'( I'll call my vet to see if he even tests for this. We live in a small town y'all! Cross your fingers...

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Yes..Johnes is a sad disease...:( Fingers crossed and prayers sent

·
2,203 Posts
From what I'm reading, it seems bleak if it is Johne's. No cure? :'( I'll call my vet to see if he even tests for this. We live in a small town y'all! Cross your fingers...
Johne's is irreversible once they come down with clinical symptoms. Of course aiding in stool hardener, extra vitamin therapy, that's all we can do. It's a starving disease. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, as this truly is an awful disease to deal with, especially clinical symptoms.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If she has berries, could I rule out Johne's? My vets office said they think he can test for that. He is supposed to call me as soon as he can...

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
yes, I beleive she could still have it even with pooping berries...Johnes is known as a wasting disease, or starving disease as mjs500doo said, ...they can have runs off and on...Get her tested,,,bring your self some peace of mind. Read all you can on the disease to undertand it incase you will be dealing with it...Knowledge is a powerful tool

Best wishes

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
if I were you, I'd get the Johne's test and also another fecal plus cocci. good luck and keep us updated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts