Supplement block vs. loose mineral?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Dec 30, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Our local feed stores only have the sheep/goat block. Do I still need to get loose mineral or should this due? I believe the loose mineral we've been using is nutralix <spelling>.

I bought a sheep/goat block from Southern states today as they just got them in. The girls LOVE it.

It says 24& next to the name

Crude Protein - 24%
    This includes not more than 4.00% equivalent crude protein from non-protein nitrogen.

Crude Fat - <min> 1.00%
    Crude Fiber - <max> 9.00%
    Calcium <min> 3.75% <Max> 4.75%
    Phosphorus - <Min> 1.40%
    Salt - <max> 16.00%
    Selenium - <min> 7.0ppm
    Vitamin A - <min> 25,000 IU/lb.

What do you think?

I also bought a salt block, but figured it would last a long time, and it's there in case they want it....especially during the summer months...

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Do you have sheep as well? There's way too much copper in loose minerals for sheep.
    Goats need lots & lots of copper.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The problem with combo blocks for sheep and goats is that there is no copper in them. Blocks last longer mainly because goats can't get enough of the minerals they need from them. I would stick with the loose mineral you have been using, check the label though to be sure there is no less than 1200ppm of copper.

4. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Whatever mineral that you have been giving it looks wonderful on your herd. I would have a hard time switching anything unless it was no longer available.

My $.02

Tom

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    They need the loose minerals you have been giving them. Sheep/goat minerals, as everyone has said, don't have copper in them and goats need some copper. the fact that they love the block isn't good, they will lick it instead of taking the loose minerals they need. (Sorry)

Jan

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz.... :thumb: :greengrin:

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much I wanted to check with you all and get your opinion. I can get the mineral and I am not completely out yet. I buy it in a neighboring county where we buy our grain. I'll go pick some up next week.
    It's okay to have the block for them along with the mineral?

BTW, we don't have any sheep, just 8 brats.... I mean goats :)

8. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    They should take what they need from both and shouldn't ingest any more than what their body needs...so there should be no danger in having both a block and minerals. I have a block with added selenium as well as loose minerals because each one has some better properties than the other, IMO. They nibble on both and I have never had any problems.

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! I'd like to be able to keep both out for them, especially with the added selenium.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :thumb:

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I actually had to go down near where I buy the feed/minerals and picked up a bag :) We have 4 feed stores within 10 minutes, BUT, they specialize in horses, and don't sell the good stuff for goats. Plus the unmedicated goat feed is $14 a bag. We buy it about 30+ minutes away for $7.25 a bag, and that's where we get the loose mineral since all the stores around here have the supplemental block like the one I bought yesterday.

They are going to town on the block though, it's sitting with the salt block in the wheel barrow just inside the gate and they are like vultures LOL They all tackle it, then walk away for a while then all come back over to it again, then walk away...silly girls!!