The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a question about supplemental feeding. I always dam raise my goats but I have one doe that doesn’t seem to have enough milk for her babies. Can I allow them to still drink off the dam and supplement with formula type goats milk? Will the dam reject them if I do this?
I’m also thinking about giving the dam MO Milk supplement to help with milk production.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I'm not familiar with Mo Milk but various mineral deficiencies and diet deficiencies can greatly impact milk production. As well as dehydration and parasites! If you want to share what she gets fed during lactation and what she gets as mineral supplements year round we can try to help identify anything!

But YES absolutely you can bring the kids bottles 1-4 times per day to supplement and ensure good growth. Introduce the bottle on day 2 or 3 for best results. If you don't have another doe to milk for supply then I would recommend either whole fat pasteurized cow milk from the grocery store or Land o Lakes Does Match replacer.

Scar tissue from previous mastitis or hardened udder from CAE can also cause production troubles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts