Supplemental feedings (non emergency)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crocee, Mar 4, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    How often should new babies be supplemented if being dam raised? The doe is very slowly coming into milk and we have supplemented their colostrum for the first 24 hours. I want them to keep nursing from their mom but she doesn't have much milk at this time. How much should I supplement them and how often? The babies are now almost 2 days old.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would be giving them a couple ounces a couple times a day - but before you give it to them, check their tummy and see if it is full. Also, if you have a scale, see if they are gaining weight. The reason I say that - is I had a doe that had NO udder, but was able to easily feed twins. Have no idea how - even when I would try to milk her nothing - yet the kids were growing, happy, and always had a full belly.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The babies seem to be always crying and have flat sides. They follow her around and take a couple sips and pull back like their frustrated. Then go to the other teat and bump it and do the same thing. Her udder does not seem to be growing any bigger. I just don't want them to starve.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Couple ounces ever couple hours -- just as if they were bottle babies. Sounds like mom's udder injury caused more problems then just the torn flesh. If she doesnt have milk by now I am skeptical about her getting milk at all. Is her udder hard?

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Its not hard at all. I can milk a little out but not much. Its not hot or anything either. In fact its about the same as its been, just very slightly larger.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I went out a few minutes ago to give mom some more hay since shes confined and saw the babies nurse for about 30 seconds, then they let go and came up to me. I saw them swollow a couple times so maybe it is starting to come in. I think maybe I will not be milking this doe for quite some time.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if her udder isnt hard there is hope. I really do hope she gets her milk in.

Weigh the kids daily to see if they are growing or not

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I think you should just feed them like the bottle babies that they are. Leave them with mom, they'll still nurse if she lets them. You can milk her too, to try to get some production going, but, I'd sure worry about them not getting enough. I fed Lucky 4 ounces 4x/day, but he was a big baby.