Supplements for bucks and wethers?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by DopeyOpie, Feb 24, 2009.

1. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    The past couple weeks I've been reading about supplements for goats. On Fiasco Farm the mention Ammonium Chloride, baking soda, Diamond V Yeast Culture, and minerals, maybe more that I've missed?

I've never given any of this stuff to my boys, but from my reading it sounds like I should be. So my question is, what should I be giving them? How much? What do you all feed as supplements for your bucks and wethers?

Oh, another thing. On Fiasco Farm site I also saw that they feed their bucks some black oil sunflower seeds as well. Does anyone know if they have to be hulled or not?

TIA, sorry for all the questions :wink:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If your boys are healthy and happy with what they have recieved over the years, I wouldn't change a thing :wink:

Black oil sunflower seeds don't need to be hulled, if they want them they eat the shells too.

Ammonium Chloride helps to acidify the urine so that urinary stones don't form, baking soda acts as a buffer to the rumen when they eat too much grain or even too much fresh greens. All goats though shoud get a source of minerals, wether it be a block or a loose mineral, they do need to have copper as well as iodine in their diets to stay healthy. Loose minerals are more palatable to goats as they don't have to work for the amount they need.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  4. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks! :hug: I will definitely look into getting some minerals for them next time we're at the store. Those are just to be free-fed, right?

5. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Yes.. they need to have free-choice access to the minerals and baking soda.. although I do think some people just top-dress the feed. We provide them free choice in PVC feeders.. they work great, I am sure you can find plans for them by doing a search.

Jennah