Supplies for hand-feeding babies?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dvfreelancer, Oct 7, 2009.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Where do you get the bottles and formula for hand-feeding babies? I can probably get them some colostrum, enough to get them some immunity, but momma only has one working hose. Between selling too many this summer and not having a resident billy anymore, I can't afford my usual laissez faire, let nature take its course approach.

Where do you get your bottles? And what formula do you use? And what's the feeding schedule?

I always swore I'd barbecue the little rascals before I'd hand feed one. Karma payback time. And, of course, baby goat poop smells so bad. Ugh, eye-watering bad and it infects anything it touches with that smell...in my garage.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use different types depending on the years but I have found the pritchard nipples or just plain human baby bottle nipples to work.

You need goat specific replacer or if you are against replacers you can use whole milk from the store....I personally like the Land-o-lakes brand of repacer and they carry one specific for goats (dont use the lamb one). THe Land-o-lakes doenst have all the junky fillers like many of the replacers have. A feed store will carry replacer.

As to the smell -- if it smells then they have an infection or cocci 90% of the time - I would be concerned if their poo smells. But thats just me :shrug:

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

bottles - a twenty oz pop bottle works great. or water bottle. I personaly like lamb bar nipples better then prichard. But for minis i guess i sould probably prefere the prichard. But i have full sized dairy goats.
    I agree with Stacey about the replacer. When you mix replacer, mix a little more water and a little less replacer then they say. The more bottles a day the better, dont let them eat themselves to the point of their bellies being rock hard, just slightly firm. I never measure, just go by bellies. If they fill up too much its not fun.
    beth