Supplimenting Pregnant Does Feed?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Cwen, Aug 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Cwen

Cwen New Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Hi everyone,

I have my first goats (4 pygora girls) and I'm curious about feed.

[​IMG]

These girls are PICKY. They were bought from a fantastic farm, they're in great shape, but they were livestock so they're not very socialized to being pets yet. So far we've tried apple skins and slices (Gala apples to boot, no cores/seeds), banana, grated carrot slices, florets of broccoli, raspberry leaves, even our lawn (my partner is very proud of his small little green organic lawn here in LA). No success. They've only accepted apple tree leaves (it's a tiny dwarf honeycrisp and my pride and joy), some young redwood tips, and the misc low-hanging tree leaves and weeds that pop up in their pasture. Mostly wild mustard. The pasture is mostly all rocky dirt, about 0.2acres with a few shade trees.

I wonder does anyone have tips/advice for feed? We have a first aid kit of misc (power punch, corid, red cell, b12, blue kote, rectal thermometer, everything their original ranch owner advised to have on hand) but I'm always looking to add to our kit. It's inevitable we'll need something in the dead of night or on a weekend.

They're fed roughly 85%-15% alfalfa hay-timothy or orchard grass hay, with alfalfa pellets (about 1cup each/day). They have Redmond loose goat mineral, salt lick, baking soda and buckets of water throughout their pasture. They get offered crushed up probios biscuits for horses twice a week, though some of the girls aren't a fan so I have to disguise them with crushed alfalfa pellets. We used to give them barley-corn pellets as a treat, but I was concerned about bloat/throwing off their rumen so that's been reduced to a very rare treat till we finish off the bag.

Two of the girls have been bred (removed from the buck third week of June) but only one looks like she's growing. She's 5, has had kids in the past, but hasn't been bred for a year or more. Still working on socializing, they're too nervous to permit us to catch their pee for a pregnancy test yet. I check everyone's famcha every 5 days or so and they're all solidly a 2, everyone poops prolifically in little pellets, and there's no droop to their tails. It's getting hot here (hitting mid 90F at least), but they're still drinking lots and I see them peeing lots.

I'm trying not to be too much of a helicopter mom, but seeing as these are my first, it's hard not to be worried about possibly missing something.

Is there anything I should try for picky goats to boost them while they're brewing babies?

I've been thinking about adding Showmaker goat feed to their routine. (http://associatedfeed.com/products.html) Does anyone have particular feelings about this brand? Advantage/disadvantage of rumensin? We're starting to do milk stand training, and want to use a little feed to help reinforce it as a positive experience. This wouldn't be free fed in the pasture so no worries about the alpacas accidentally consuming it.

Or should I make my own recipe of booster to help lure these girls into liking me more and tolerating milk stand time?

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate everyone's knowledge out here!

-C

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Just go sit quietly and be still. Goats are nosy creatures. Read out loud and talk to them while you do chores around them. Animal crackers are usually a win. Fig newtons come as a close second cookiewise here. Mine love apples and watermelon. When they start to come being nosy just sit still and let them want to come to you.

I would not give the graiin feed until at least four mos preg. Then slowly increase it. I wouldnt feed the one with that is medicated though. I dont want that in my milk i am drinking. And most adults do not need it anyway.

Urine preg tests are not reliable. If you want a for sure answer draw blood after thirty days away from the buck.

Take the baking soda away. They make their own. If they bloat you can treat with it. They may be more interested in forage if you feed less alfalfa pellet.

goatblessings likes this.