supply question - antibiotic, BOSS

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, Nov 14, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm running to tractor supply today to stock up on a few things. For antibiotics, we only have LA200 that we keep on hand, but is there another that is safer on younger animals (some sources say it can affect bone or teeth development)? I figure PenG is safer, but wasn't sure of its effectiveness on respiratory issues, pneumonia, etc.

I also have been tempted to buy BOSS, but wasn't sure how much to give to each goat and how often. It is supposed to help coat/skin, right?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when I give BOSS its about 1-2 hanfuls per goat - I mix it in with their regular feed though so its an approx amount.

the oxytetracyline (La 200) is the best OTC for respiratory. But is never bad to have penicillin on hand for other kinds of bacterial needs. But I tend to run straight for the oxytet nomatter the age when it comes to respiratory.

3. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

Now, here's another ? - when I had to give an adult doe LA 200 this year, we gave it once a day. But when I was just searching antibiotic posts here, I see that some people give it once a day, others every other day, and then some every three days. Yikes. I hope I didn't hurt my doe this summer with the 1x a day. I will say she got better quickly, though . . .

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I give it once a day for 3-5 days straight