Surgical vs conventional disbudding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Mar 4, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Just wondering if anyone has had their kids surgically disbudded?

I have heard that you can get a vet to do it, they make a small incision over the horn bud, dig out the bud and then put a stitch in the skin to close it up again.

Has anyone had it done and what were your opinions?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I don't disbud my goaties ...sorry I can't help.... :(

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    From my understanding when they are surgically disbudded, the vet has to put them under and goats don't do well with anesthesia.

I use an X50 to disbud mine and have had no problems, my DH hates it though as he holds them for me while I do it. It doesn't take long to do, then I take them right out to their momma and they get a drink and go about their business, doesn't take 2 minutes a kid and I shave the hair around the bud too.

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I've heard it done, I believe some people do it at birth....however I think regular disbudding gets the job done just fine.

5. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Since I dont really have anyone to help hold them, I usually drop them into the vet and then pick them up later, and harry or cathy will usually have it done for me.

6. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    If you make a disbudding box you can do you it yourself, they work real well. :)

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I get my vet to do the disbudding for me but he does it the "old fashioned" way, ie, burning the horn buds out. However, he does put them "under" to do it - but not like, REALLY under. Just so that they cant really move much - semi-conscious, I guess.

LW