The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In August, my vet and I discussed removing an almost full grown horn/scur from my yearling wether. She said she could use Gigli wire and cut it really short and cauterize the top. She told me it would grow back and need to be re done yearly but it would solve the problems we were having with the horn for about a year. I agreed. He had his procedure yesterday and today he managed to wigglie out of his gauze. Imagine my shock when I realize he has a gaping open hole to his sinus cavity! Not only am I upset that this is not the procedure we agreed upon, I am completely unprepared for the healing process and spent the day trying to figure out how to keep him separate for the rest of the herd (he has one buddy with him). If I would have know she was going to fully remove the horn I never would Agreed! I’ve heard horror story’s about dehorning adult goats and how long and hard the healing process is. I feel so bad for him. He’s stressed and completely not himself.

So now I have a very unhappy goat with a huge hole in his head. What can I do to help him? Speed up the healing process? All the vet said was to keep it covered but the wrapping she put on has already come off. I’ve re wrapped it and given him some vit B complex paste for the stress.

also, did I misunderstand the vet? Is it possible there was a medical reason to completely dehorned him that I’m missing? I am inclined to reach out to the office and share my frustration with the miscommunication but want to make sure I’m understanding everything first…
Hair Nose Head Eye Dog breed

·
Registered
791 Posts
Oh wow! I’m so sorry. I agree keep it covered and keep a eye for ANY signs of infection.
Unless the horn was curling and heading to dig into his neck, face, whatever, no there really isn’t a reason to cut it off. It will just look ugly. Well I guess he could be mean with it too, I had a doe with one scur and she was the devil with it. But if that is the case and you want it gone and gone for good look into banding the horn. There is a member on here that doesn’t come on very often any more but he helped walk me threw banding my sons wethers horns. He bands all his goats instead of disbudding so very knowledgeable about the process

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Cutting the horn using a wire at the hairline is called “tipping”. I have had it done to many show goats. It was also done to a doe who’s horn was growing into her head. They always bounce back quickly. So sorry he was dehorned. Keep it dry and covered.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I am sorry this isn't going the way you'd planned.
Horns are hollow at the base, so it sounds to me that the vet did exactly what she said she would. It does not look to me like the goat has been dehorned, as I can still see edges of horn around the hole. I would ask the vet for recommendations on how to keep it clean and speed up the healing process. Your goat might need some banamine for pain. I'm surprised they didn't go through all of that with you!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I don't think the vet was dishonest or anything. This is definitely what it looks like when you remove a horn or (horn-sized scur) and maybe the vet thought you knew this and didn't explain well. It should heal well, but keeping it covered is going to be tricky. You'll probably need to use some kind of tape. Not pleasant to remove, I know, but it's the only thing that's going to keep a bandage secure. And he definitely needs a bandage until that hole closes over! Make sure he gets some banamine and use some kind of antibacterial ointment under the bandage. I had a goat break a horn many years ago and the vet amputated the dangling appendage, leaving a wound very much like that one. I was surprised how quickly the flesh grew in and covered the hole. In six weeks there was hair growing over it. The main difference I had was that my goat still had his other horn so there was a very nice anchor to keep the bandage in place. You'll have to figure something else out I'm afraid. :(

·
Super Moderator
31,788 Posts
Goat-link.com has a broken horn link and shows a good way to keep it wrapped and care. It's pretty good article with pictures.
Do give banamine for a few days to help him feel better. Pain management helps increase appetite. Give daily probiotics to help keep a happy rumen.

Best wishes

Reactions: NigerianNewbie

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

unfortunately when we changed his bandage today, it pretty infected. Lots of pus in and around the cavity. Any ideas what I can do here?? I’m not sure what I can flush it with bc it’s his sinus cavity. My first call will be to the vet tomorrow but any other advice is appreciated!!

also, where can I buy Banamine? I was under the impression it had to be vet prescribed?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Banamine is vet prescribed. It may be advisable to start with an antibiotics. I am not in the states so I cant advise which one. To clean I recommend salt water soluntion around the cavity untill a more knowledgable person can give better advice. Salt will clean off bacteria around the wound. Do not flush inside the wound because its his cavity.
A vet visit is best. Especially the same vet that did the work to start with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts