The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen it, my goats have not been off the property since ultrasounds in april (transported in the truck and stayed in the truck for the US, then straight home) and I'm seeing it in a 5 week doeling!

Am I crazy? How fast does CL grow? This wasn't there yesterday, but I didn't see her all day today. (She is dam raised).

Tell me it could be something else!
What do I do first? I'm just reading about CL for the first time.

This is the only picture could get that even shows it. Her coloring is making it really hard. It is 11:00 pm here. I was just out to feed babies before going to bed. (Other babies - her mom feeds her)
20190906_232923.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to clarify. It is a huge mass on her jaw. It's the whole side of her face.

My daughter and I have been reading for more than an hour. I'm a little less freaked out. Thanks @ksalvagno for your advice to others on this subject. I'll calm down and wait for it to soften. It happened so fast, I'm hoping it doesn't try to rupture before morning. (pray)

Gratefully, tomorrow (today! LOL) is Saturday. I have my men here and will get them to look at her and we'll create a plan. I don't want to Lance it, but that sounds like what might need to happen if we don't find a foreign object. I'll take her temp. What else should I do to assess? Getting in her mouth is going to be tricky. She's so little. But we are suspecting salivary abcess, so we'll do our best to check all the things.

Tell me what else to do folks. :(
And thank you, AGAIN.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Breathe.
If it is CL, you can't lance it until it is bald and soft. This doesn't sound like CL to me.
If it is a salivary gland, I don't think you lance it at all. I've never dealt with that so I don't know much beyond that.
It may be cud stuck n a cheek? I've read that can look really large. Can you feel anything in there?
It could be a thorn or something worked its way in under the skin and it's creating puss.
It could be a bee sting. So Benadryl might help
It might be a snake bite.
Keep breathing.

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Not CL. I agree with more likely a salivary gland or reaction to a sting,.. Mariarose has a good list going^^ Run your finger between jaw and gums to make sure there is nothing stuck. Be carful..sharp teeth! I would not lance. How does it feel? hard, soft, hot, lumpy, smooth, movable? Do try Benadryl see if it helps

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Benadryl is handy to have on hand, and it keeps pretty well, too.

What does it look like today?
If it was a snake bite you should see the swelling starting to move toward the chest area. It flows with the blood toward the heart.

Do try to feel or see if there is cud lodged in that cheek.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm in bed so this was last night. Hard. Not warm. Smooth? Not movable.

I thought maybe I could rest, but I ended up lurking instead. I love you guys and all your info. It does my heart good to see your love of goats and each other and a little humor to keep the stress of emergencies at bay. First I'm learning. Then I'm laughing. It's easier to breathe when you laugh.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Benadryl is handy to have on hand, and it keeps pretty well, too.

What does it look like today?
If it was a snake bite you should see the swelling starting to move toward the chest area. It flows with the blood toward the heart.

Do try to feel or see if there is cud lodged in that cheek.
Snake bite is highly unlikely. We just don't see poisonous snakes out here. Little bitty garden or water snakes, but nothing that could hurt my goats. I know they exist in Utah, I just have never seen one or heard of one in these parts.

Sting - super likely. My husband is going out to do chores now. He'll look at her and give a report when he comes in.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
A nonpoisonous snake's bite can still get infected and swell, but you are right, the swelling won't travel.

Reactions: Sfgwife

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Breathing is almost always the first thing to try in an emergency.

Do not try this when the emergency is being trapped under water.
I was breathing until my daughter started reading online and crying and freaking me out. Panic attack over. Note to self: don't listen to dooms day info at midnight when you are exhausted. And read PAST the first horrible possibility before freaking out. :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Don’t have more advice, but I do wish you good luck!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just had something similar - I suggest a vet. My vet took care of it and had to put in a drain tube, she was on anibiotics and he sent in a pus sample to the lab to get results. It came back negative on CL. We think maybe it was from a hawthorne puncture but just guessing. Vet also looked with his ultrasound but didn't find anything. She was actually quite a mess for a week or so. It's not cheap to have the vet take care of these things but I feel it is important . Hopefully you have as good a vet as we do.

Reactions: goatblessings

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I agree. A sting should have lessened by now.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
A sting might have gotten infected if she rubbed her face everywhere trying to get rid of the itching.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Blow on the cheek during the transport, causing a bleeding under the hide? To me, it does NOT look like corynebacterium, in addition to the patient's young age.

Thank you for sharing, that's what these sites are for! ;)

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
It doesn’t look like CL. CL will resemble knots from CD&T shots around the neck area and down under throat. It also can be other places on face and internal. This doesn’t look like the CL I’ve had. It could be several things. Never lance CL unless it heads if you ever have it regardless of what people say. CL can be dealt with if it doesn’t head. Don’t think it’s bottle jaw either. Might do a fecal to check for worms. Being 5 weeks it still could happen, just check. Like the others have said it could be several things and about 5 ml of Benadryl might be your answer. Do it 2-3 times in one day, it may do the trick. It won’t hurt her. I have done wonders with it for coughs and runny noses. It also could be allergies which The Benadryl would also help. Check all that has been said by others then decide what you need to do. Being so young eliminates a lot of things but not all.

Reactions: Trollmor
1 - 20 of 88 Posts