Suspected CL? HELP

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatboat, Nov 14, 2010.

  1. goatboat

    goatboat New Member

    Okay today I noticed a knot like bulge between the ear and jaw on my newest buck. I've had him for about 2-3weeks and have not noticed this on him. I just intested him good 3 days ago and saw nothing and have just trimmed his hooves yesterday and didn't notice anything.

    I just put 1 doe in with my 2 bucks and while feeding all 3 cookies saw this lump. It's hard and fur is still covering it. I guess maybe the other buck (or even the doe could have butted him there, but I still any wary of chocking it up as that just yet). He has no been coughing or anything like that but, 3 days ago I went through and gave Ivermec Plus wormer (subQ) in his shoulder on the same side as the lump (but not at the lump location).

    I want to get him tested. I've tried searching the web, but still don't know what to do. I feel so stupid, 1 stupid buck could ruin my herd. If he does test positive for CL he will be culled, no if an's or but's about it. We orginally bought him to eat but later decided to keep him to add diversity to our goats, plus he was small and figured he'd be good to breed to my virgin goats since he'd probably have smaller babies and it'd be easy for their first delivery. I hate it so much because since we decided he would stay and breed I've grown attached to him and will miss him and I feel like I've lied to him because I've told him that he wouldn't go to slaughter (I know HE probably doesn't know the difference and it's stupid to feel like this over an animal, but I'm a person of my word wether it be an animal or a person and I feel really bad to lie even to him).

    How do I test? Do I extract the lump fluid/puss and send it in or blood? Where do I send it? Do I need special thingies to send it in with? where do I get them if I need special thingies? How much does it cost? If I am going to send in for testing would it be more cost effective in the long run to have my entire herd tested (I have 7 goats, 2 sheep)?

    Do you guy think this is more then likely CL? If the cost of testing is too expensive I will probably cull. I hate not knowing, but I have to work with what my budget is and I wouldn't want to break him off in someone else. I also don't want to give him away and wonder what his fate is, I'd rather know he died quickly and painlessly as possible. :tears:

    Any ideas, advise or anything is ALWAYS appreciated. I'm just soo up set over this, it really depresses me to think I could have exposed my herd to a danger when I spend so much time, effort and money to keep them safe. What else could this be? I will take pictures tomorrow, but since there is still fur covering it there isn't going to be much to see. When/If I lance it I will also take pictures.
    Thanks everyone
  2. pelicanacresMN

    pelicanacresMN New Member

    Check the goats teeth. I went through a whole headache thinking one of my goats developed it last year but luckily enough my husband suspected something with the teeth. The lump was hard & on the cheek area. So we pulled out a flashlight & pried the does mouth open to find a cracked molar! We brought her to the vet & had the tooth removed & magic--the lump disappeared :)
    My fingers are crossed for you that it is something simple & not CL!!!
    Make sure the lump doesn't break open & keep your other goats separate until you can figure out what it is for sure!

  3. liz

    liz Well-Known Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    For it to suddenly be there is suspect of something else BUT I would do as Karen suggested and separate him, you can get a red top tube from a vet and an 18 or 16 gauge needle and syringe to aspirate......then put it in the tube and send it to WADDL for testing or you can separate him and do the wait and see and then send in the gunk that comes from it. It may just be a molar or even a splinter but I think for your peace of mind it would be best to tap and test.
  4. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    correct - send the insides of the abcess in. this is the most accurate way to know the correct diagnosis and what you can use to treat if not CL. make sure he is in an area that you can go CRAZY cleaning if need be afterwards!

    Good luck and keep us posted
  5. goatboat

    goatboat New Member

    My father was joking last night that he's glad I'm not head of Boilogical Security because we'd all be wearing rubber suits! :ROFL:

    I don't have a perfect area for him, but if it does come back positive I will be shoveling dirt out of the stall to be burnt, I will buy so much bleach they'll be thinkinng I'm manufacturing illegal substances, and of course he will be culled. I put him as far as I could from the herd, where he would be reasonably safe in a stall. The others are at least 50-75 feet away and have NO access to him. The pasture surrounding the barn is patroled by my horses.

    IF, he does have CL do you think I should vaccinate my herd for it? I've heard about Cas-Bac, has anyone else used it?

    I will be checking his teeth though, didn't think of that. How much did it cost you for the vet to remove his problem tooth? If a tooth is the cause I will get it fixed, I just don't know if I can afford a vet for it, but I do have plenty of experience pulling teeth for my family (we all hate dentists) and I do have RX sedatives used speciffically for surgical procedures (funny story ow I got those: my dog was going nut howling because the females we owned and the neighbors dogs were in heat, called the vet to see if they had any kind of MILD drug that would calm him from this 24/7 tirade of howling, gave us 1 RX, didn't work and made him howl louder and just all around worse so I called them back and they gave me this stuff! He didn't leave the bed but to pee (fell over 8 times :ROFL: ) for 4 days. I only used it once, so I kept it on hand incase I had an emergency.) I will check to make sure this drug is safe for goats(or at least has been used in goats with no ill effects, since it seems most drugs are used off label for goats anyway.) I am also lucky to have my dear ole' dad whom was 1 year of college away from be a liecensed veterinarian and has plenty of experience with surgery (if it becomes nessecary of course).

    do you know how much the red top tubes cost? Does ANY vet have them because it's hard to find a decent horse vet around here much less a goat vet. If you guys have a good goat vet (whom is reasonable on price) in the North Florida area I would be so thankful! I don't want to have to do this myself, but I will if need be.

    One last request, please everyone, pray for little Hermes, my buck, that he is NOT infected with CL. :pray: :pray: :pray:

    Thank you all so much!
  6. pelicanacresMN

    pelicanacresMN New Member

    Is there a way you can contact the people you got the buck from & ask them a few questions? Maybe they have tested before or ask if any of there other goats ever had any absesses?
    Is that the only lump he has? Is it rock hard or kind of mooshy feeling? Does it feel like it moves around at all when you touch it?
    My vet is pretty awesome with prices--he does his work to help the animals not to make a ton of money. The other vets around here seem to charge at least 3 times more! One of my does had to have a c-section (couldn't get the kids head in place) and I believe he charged less than $300---I was expecting around $800 or more! The tooth removal was under $50.
    Keep us up-dated..hoping everything works out just fine for you & your herd!
  7. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yes, any vet has the red top tubes. Or you can purchase them. If you PM me your address, I can just throw one in the mail for you since you only need 1 :)
  8. alyssa_romine

    alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

    Oct 4, 2007
    if you vaccinate with Case-Bac, your goats will test positive for CL after the vaccine is I have heard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
  9. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is correct - it can show as a steady lowgrade positive - where with true CL you will see spikes when there is an outbreak or soon to be - at least that is what I was told from Waddl when i asked about it
  10. Goober

    Goober New Member

    Aug 21, 2009
    Where about in N. Florida are you? I am NW of Tallahassee.