The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed a lump on the side of my herd queen. She is a 4ish year old Nubian. The previous owner told me she had her herd tested and I hadn't seen any signs of other lumps before today. The lump is soft and a little bit larger than a quarter. It is almost halfway between her front and back legs, though slightly more towards the front. On the diagram I have this isn't listed as a common spot, but I wanted ya'lls opinions. Please let me know what you think.
156790385_734528067234322_228653769606061334_n.jpg
157839621_484350302593167_6092810507115516780_n.jpg
156786860_2809699119348125_4670393103306558499_n.jpg

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't feel or see any scab, but it was hard to get a good look because she didn't like me messing with it too much so I assume it was slightly tender.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,073 Posts
My herd queen had a lump like that last year. A little hard lump the size of a grape on one of her ribs. It never came to a head and eventually it just went away. Really odd.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My herd queen had a lump like that last year. A little hard lump the size of a grape on one of her ribs. It never came to a head and eventually it just went away. Really odd.
I'm REALLY hoping she just poked it on something or got stung. I'm googling in a panic. We've drank her milk, she's in with our meat goats, it would be devastating if this was CL.

·
8,071 Posts
Has she had any shots or vaccines in that area? I give all my sub q shots over the ribs, so if a lump does occur, I know it was from the shot. If she hasn't had any shots, it could be any number of things, but CL is really low on the list. (Like at the very bottom). Very doubtful it will hurt the milk or you.

Watch it and if it pops, clean it well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has she had any shots or vaccines in that area? I give all my sub q shots over the ribs, so if a lump does occur, I know it was from the shot. If she hasn't had any shots, it could be any number of things, but CL is really low on the list. (Like at the very bottom). Very doubtful it will hurt the milk or you.

Watch it and if it pops, clean it well.
Thank you so much. This puts me at ease. I usually do my vaccines a little closer to the front leg, but it's very possible I was off and didn't notice it. I will monitor it very closely!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for calming me down! I started to panic immediately when I found it! I'm so glad that it's unlikely to be something serious. I will definitely keep an eye on it and if it doesn't go away I'll call the vet out for testing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts