swallen knee

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Coraxfeather, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    My Nubian Einstein got kicked by a horse. We have had him check to make sure ntohign was broken. We did nto think he got a good kicked probly just clipped. Haven given him somethign for the pain and a few cold conpresses on his knee to get the swelling down. Is there anything else we can do for him?? He is off from petting zoo and training until his knee is better. He is still getting around just limping.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    unless it is chipped he should heal up fine -- some banamine for the pain and rest is good

3. Maybe some presses if the fluid does not go down.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...the banamine will also take down the swelling.... :wink:

5. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Swelling is gone but he is still limping very bad.

We had to stop his trianing compeltely and we think there might be something else wrong. I was just doing lead line training cause I am also usen him as a pack goat for when I go on hikes and camping. Was even trainign him to move a long my horse when I ride.

All I can say he is super exstending his one leg to walk aroudn the pasture. I was thinking about confinning him but he loves being with the sheep and could not take him away from them. There is no swollen anything on that leg. Have checked to see if there is any hot spots. Felt to see if maybe anything broken or mishapped. Our friend that is our goat exspert around here is comen either today or tomorrow.

He get bammine once a day. If this dose not clear up soon I will be taken him to a vet.

Einstien is to important to me and my boss. He is our only pulling goat we have and he loves to pull his little cart. He gets excited when I get his harness out. Well it coudl be he gets treats and a lot of loven. Please any and all suggestion are welcomed. I need to get him better asap. The big little guy loves to work and he is right now in a field baaing cause I have not beeen working him and that is hurting me heart and his.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would stop the banamine... if the swelling went down...giving it ..for to long .... can cause problems....the limping ...may be caused by the banamine....other symptoms from overuse of the drug....how long has he had it every day? The drug is suppose to be given every 36 hours... only for a few days....unless recommended and supervised by your vet... :hug:

7. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    his last shot I think was on Saturday. WE have nto given him anything today. He is moven a little better. Just was out there checking on him. We got in a hay that had a lot of clover in it and was feeding it to the stock. He head butted me in his gentel way and was limping towards the gate cause this is about the time we normaly work with him. I had to tell him no and keep him out there. I could hear his cry all the way up to the house. But he is getting a little better. Talking with the boss and we are nto going to give him anymore bamine unless he needed it. Also if he is not alot better by wensday he is off to the vet. I am trying not to take him to a vet sometimes vets make it worse.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad ...he is moving a little better.....if the injury was like ...5 days ago.....give him some time....it can take a couple of weeks depending on the type of injury.....he may have torn ligaments... or a torn muscle...which takes a while to heal.....just hopefully he doesn't have a chipped bone....of coarse a vet will be able to do an x-ray to know for sure... restrict him from working that leg to hard ....the normal slow walking is OK ..as long as... it isn't really long distances....give it enough rest but yet....make sure ...he does work it a little....Good luck. :hug: