Sweaters or no sweaters?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by OpieDoodle, Jan 13, 2021.

1. OpieDoodle

OpieDoodle Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    We breed pygmies so we can breed year rounds so usually we aim to have babies very late winter into spring when its warming up so its never been an issue. We ended up with an oops with one of my does who had babies last month and then bought three does already pregnant so now we are going to have lots of winter babies. Do you guys usually keep them in sweaters? If so what temp do you do that.

We have just been keeping the current babies inside on colder days/nights but I'd like to let them be outside more.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    nope. Draft free but ventilated space with lots of straw.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I don't ever see a difference with sweaters, and it prevents them from puffing their coats.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I will use them if needed. But most of the time you don't. But it does come down to you being the one physically looking at your goats. If you find that they are active and lively, then great but if they aren't, then you need to do something.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    No sweaters here. Good bedding and draft free area so babies can snuggle under works great. We use a small dog house top so only babies can fit under. Nothing mom can get under or she may steal the space or squish/smother kids.

6. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    I will use them if they need it. I have some crochet ones and ones made out of jacket sleeves and comforters and then some small dog blankets. I really like the jacket sleeve ones as they are like tubes that the front legs poke through and don't smooch their fur. They are very cute and look like little dresses. Sorry, but I can't remember the temps. Thinking, it does depend on wind and wetness and of course age and weight. The first week is the hardest for babies to maintain body temp, least the lamanchas, as they are low body weight. Under 20 F I think I put one on. It is just really hard to say. I've had some babies that did not do well with cold and then a pair that was born a few days later were much more cold hardy.
    You didn't ask but here's a picture because she is so cute.
    20190331_172937.jpg

7. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I use them the first 24 hours then warming barrel or heat lamp if needed. Nothings warmer than a pile of kids in deep straw. They should be ok. If they’re shivering make sure they're getting enough to eat. A cold kid is often a hungry kid.

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I use them the first 24 hours then warming barrel or heat lamp if needed. Nothings warmer than a pile of kids in deep straw. They should be ok. If they’re shivering make sure they're getting enough to eat. A cold kid is often a hungry kid.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I use sweaters when the temp is below 20° F. My little onesdi sleep in 6 inches of straw. But during the day thet drop to sleep on cold wet ground. The sweaters do help keep them warm. We have days that are 4 & 5° with humidity. And yes they have sweaters
    Anything above 20°..they usually do just fine. I also have a heat lamp that i use at night. I would rather keep my little ones healthy & thriving. In our crazy weather..I have to watch the weather & each kidd.

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and goatblessings like this.
  10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Nothin cuter than a new baby white lamancha! I think all babies are cute, but I love those baby lamanchas. (Which is why I have so darn many!)

GodsGarden and MadHouse like this.
  11. OpieDoodle

OpieDoodle Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    Okay good to know, these babies are 4 weeks old at this point so they're probably okay. They're wild little things but cold nights they get to come in with momma and their heat lamp. I am going to look into investing in some DIY sweaters for the pygmy babies coming soon.

MadHouse likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice.

Use only if truly needed.