The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lady we bought our girl from and they do not feed sweet feed at all..They said when they did they fought worms worse and they had diarrhea a lot .They switched to a none sweet feed they get at a mill equivalent to the Purina feed from tsc and everything improved been doing that for years .Is there any truth in that? They told us that sugar in any form is not good for goats except natural sugar like fruit and stuff. They have beautiful goats and a very healthy herd.So far we have had no issues as well feeding a medicated goat pellet from the coop and the bahai grass hay..They are not fat but not skinny we did have a copper issue it took 2 rounds of bolus 3 months apart to fix it anf i feed loose sweetlix minerals topdress .. Sometimes I feel like they may be lacking something maybe that's just the mom in me always thinking of ways to improve and help my babies.. Any thoughts or tips appreciated

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'd give the minerals free choice.

I'd give a separate salt lick, as well. Trophy Rock is a good one, easy to find right now because hunters use it.

Far as I know, Sweet feed doesn't cause worms but an excess of sugar can cause diarrhea. That means an excess of fruit as well, because sugar is sugar in that way.

If you are happy with your feed, great! Maybe you can post a pic of the label here for us to see and learn from.

·
14,760 Posts
I agree with Goats Rock, what works for them might not work for you and vice versa. We used to feed sweet feed years ago and had no issues with it, we had a sweet mix we used temporarily mixing in with our feed the last 2 winters for our does during last part of pregnancy and early lactation. No issues. We switched to pelleted feed probably around late 2011 or early 2012 because our goats would pick through the feed and either leave a lot of crumbs, or some would pick through and not get their share because they were being picky. So feeding pellets eliminates them from picking through and only eating certain things.
Now, we have added some sweet feed the last 2 winters to does feed to help late pregnancy and early lactation. But I try to keep bucks and buck kids out of it because the mixes we used 1. wasn't very consistent (custom mix) with vit/mineral levels, and the last one we used the cal/phos isn't 2:1 or better.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying she should or should not use sweet feed. She seemed happy with the feed already being used and I was happy to support that.

I've not heard of sweet feed causing worms, but I wondered if it had caused the diarrhea mentioned, that was then attributed to worms...

My goats have never gotten sick from sweet feed on the milking stand. Not that I've always fed sweet feed, because I haven't "always" done anything.

@Goats Rock @HoosierShadow have you ever seen or heard of sweet feed causing worminess?

·
14,760 Posts
Mariarose - I've never heard of it. BUT.... last month at a show a friend who uses the same pelleted feed that we use said her vet told her it can cause tapeworm! Apparently some kind of mite that got into the feed mill and gets into the feed and the goats eat it - especially young goats. I actually meant to bring this up to see what people thought. We had tapeworm issues in kids the last 2 years. We did switch to a different feed in April, but we had so many issues with it, I had to return 2x :( So I went back to the mill we were using in mid July. We had no tapeworm issues in our kids, but I've been trying to keep an eye on them 'just in case.'
So maybe if there is a worm issue it's not because it's a sweet feed, but possibly just the feed itself like what I just mentioned (we use pelleted).
I'm looking into switching to something better, but I'm not going to pay $15-20 a bag. I'm really bummed the other feed didn't work out (it was a show feed and kept breaking down badly). I'd actually like to look into using Purple Vision if we could get it delivered close by. I can't drive out of state to get it. My biggest worry is running out and not being able to get more in.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Now that's interesting, about the mites getting into that mill... I wonder how one would even guard a mill against that...

What do you look for in a feed, @HoosierShadow. What are your priorities?

·
8,187 Posts
I have never heard of sweet feed causing parasites. But, that doesn't mean anything because maybe it does and no one is aware of it around here!

My "partner" (our farms are combined when we ship milk, we are considered one unit) and I are kind of in a bind when it comes to parasites. Only Safeguard is approved for lactating goats according to the FDA and all the milk regulations. So, if sweet feed would cause a worm load, we are in big trouble!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so i could not find the paper...get but I did text her and no short words she SAID DO NOT FEED SWEET FEED TO GOATS..! Its very bad for them it causes them to be more prone to worms,diareaah,and enterotoxemia..It has no nutritional value for a goat its great for pigs and horses not goats... Idk when I try to research to back this up to get a for sure yay or nay I can't find anything just peoples preferences ..

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I say if you are happy with the feed you have, then stay with it.

There are quality sweet feeds, and no-quality sweet feeds, it's all in the ingredients and the temperature it's been stored in. There are living arrangements that depend on the added energy of the sweet feeds, and living arrangements when the added energy is a problem. There are times when too much heat contributes to molding.

I'm sure your friend has her reasons for being dogmatic about this.

One reason I can believe is she has finally exhausted her patience with trying to help people who want to feed "cheap" and has found it easier to "Just say No!" rather than go into all the nuances and ins-&-outs with people who won't listen. I've been there before!

Or she genuinely is just that dogmatic. I don't know. But I know there is no reason to feed sweet feed if you are happy with some other feed you can easily get.

My caution was to stay away from the hype that you can over indulge in sugar, so long as it is deemed "natural" by some standard or other. Sugar acts like sugar.

It is energy. Too little and you have problems, too much and you have problems. And yes, I do think there are healthier ways to consume sugar than other ways. But it has nothing to do with the sugar itself. It has everything to do with the other things that go along with it, such as fiber in fruit. The fiber makes it a healthier form, but the sugar part is still sugar, and will act so.

The worst part about the most unhealthy sweet feeds, imo, is that the top ingredient is usually corn. Stay away from corn as an every day staple, and your goats will be healthier. But corn is a good fattener, if you are trying to put quick weight on market wethers. There is a good purpose for it. But longevity and productivity won't come from corn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts