The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been buying 'pelleted grains' from Carolina Stockyards for a while now, but I've been looking around for other feeds near me and I found this: (link below)
Is sweet feed ok to feed my goats? I have dairy goats, the sweet feed would mainly be for bucks, wethers, kids etc, and probably a little mixed in with my girls feed. Is this okay to use?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feed-solutions-sweet-mix-50-lb-2427127

·
Registered
585 Posts
So, I have been buying 'pelleted grains' from Carolina Stockyards for a while now, but I've been looking around for other feeds near me and I found this: (link below)
Is sweet feed ok to feed my goats? I have dairy goats, the sweet feed would mainly be for bucks, wethers, kids etc, and probably a little mixed in with my girls feed. Is this okay to use?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feed-solutions-sweet-mix-50-lb-2427127
It's not a very good choice, although I can see the appeal in the price point. It's very low on protein which is very important for lactating does and growing kids. The goats really don't need all the extra sugar they throw in there to make it palatable. Ive looked at this brand myself but then walked away when I read the tag of ingredients/ nutrients.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a very good choice, although I can see the appeal in the price point. It's very low on protein which is very important for lactating does and growing kids. The goats really don't need all the extra sugar they throw in there to make it palatable. Ive looked at this brand myself but then walked away when I read the tag of ingredients/ nutrients.
Okay, for some reason, I can't find the tag of ingredients nutrients on the website? Where did you see that?
Well, I buy dairy goat feed (18% protein), and I was just looking for something else to add in for the wethers, bucks, kids. They won't be completely on this feed. and My does may just get a handful here and there in their feed but they are completely on dairy pellets.

·
Super Moderator
82,212 Posts
:nod::up:

I agree.

It is not good to feed sweet feed long term. Can cause acidosis or other issues.

But good for pregnant does, 1 month prior to kidding.

Purina goat grower, which has 16% protein at tractor supply or something which has ammonium chloride in it, helps the bucks and wethers, if you are to feed grain.

·
Registered
585 Posts
IMG_1549.PNG
Okay, for some reason, I can't find the tag of ingredients nutrients on the website? Where did you see that?
Well, I buy dairy goat feed (18% protein), and I was just looking for something else to add in for the wethers, bucks, kids. They won't be completely on this feed. and My does may just get a handful here and there in their feed but they are completely on dairy pellets.
This is what I found in the Q and A. I remember the protein was around that when I looked at it awhile ago.

If you do end up buying this to feed your wethers and bucks then you should look into buying ammonium chloride seperately (I get mine at PBS animal health) to sprinkle on their feed. Also for growing kids it should not be their sole source of feed, they really need about 16-18% protein, the 12% this feed provides is really not enough for their little growing bodies, you'd have to supplement with something like calf manna.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts

What about an alfalfa pellet for the bucks and non lactating/not bred does and wethers? And for kids and lactating does a 17% goat grain and alfalfa pellet mix. This is how we feed ours (dairy also) and everyone does well on it. Or are you looking for the cheapest but a good feed for them? You should have a southern states close by... their feeds are cheaper than tsc.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Co
:nod::up:

I agree.

It is not good to feed sweet feed long term. Can cause acidosis or other issues.

But good for pregnant does, 1 month prior to kidding.

Purina goat grower, which has 16% protein at tractor supply or something which has ammonium chloride in it, helps the bucks and wethers, if you are to feed grain.
Cool, didn't know that about pregnant does!
Oh yes, I had seen that, okay!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about an alfalfa pellet for the bucks and non lactating/not bred does and wethers? And for kids and lactating does a 17% goat grain and alfalfa pellet mix. This is how we feed ours (dairy also) and everyone does well on it. Or are you looking for the cheapest but a good feed for them? You should have a southern states close by... their feeds are cheaper than tsc.
I have been buying feed from the Stockyards and Southern States, but the closest of these to me is over an hour drive away so just trying to find things closer. the only other store is Tractor Supply right now but I did find a new feed store near me I am going to see tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
I have been buying feed from the Stockyards and Southern States, but the closest of these to me is over an hour drive away so just trying to find things closer. the only other store is Tractor Supply right now but I did find a new feed store near me I am going to see tomorrow!
Nutrena is not a bad feed and is sometimes easier found.

·
14,725 Posts
I definitely wouldn't use that TSC all stock type of feed, I'd give them a goat specific feed.

I've always heard long term and for bucks that pelleted feed is better. We started out with sweet feed when we got into goats, but they picked through it so bad, that we switched to pellets and don't have that issue. Now and then I'll add sweet feed to pregnant or nursing does feed.
I would especially be careful with bucks or wethers. Make sure the calcium is 2:1, and IMO you may consider top dressing with a little bit of ammonium chloride. Yes...most feeds have it. But over the years, many good breeders suggest it doesn't always have enough. But my kids show their boys, and our bucks don't have pasture, so they are dependent on grain/hay.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
We’ve fed sweet feed for almost 7 years with no issues; however, every sweet feed isn’t created equal and won’t work for every program. We have spoken to the nutritionist at our local feed mill for advice on what would work best, and we have a custom mix made for us fresh every month. They’ve helped us a lot.

We’ve gotten some sweet feed from TSC in the past when we’ve been low between loads, and there has been issues with mold. I would be very cautious. You never know how long that has been sitting on the shelf.

As much as we’d like to switch to pelleted, it isn’t economical for us quite yet. Maybe someday!

Also, like everyone else has said, make sure you have a balanced Calcium to Phosphorus ratio.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have tried to mix in a little sweet feed a couple of times to our goats and each time the goats get clumpy stools or worse cow patties, so I do not attempt to feed sweet feed to our goats. Sweet feed for cattle is OK, not an issue. No problems. I stick with the grain pellets and alfalfa pellets with an occasional hand full of black oil sunflower seeds. Lots of hay, cobalt block and minerals made available.

Reactions: carrotsnranch
1 - 12 of 12 Posts