Sweet Pea has Pneumonia

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Jul 27, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    She has a fever of 105.8

Just gave her 4ccs of LA 200 SQ (big goat)

she is still coughing off and on and has goop in her nose. She wont eat grain and only tries to nibble on hay - just moved her into a separate area with 2 of the quads so I can see if she is drinking.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I hope that she gets better soon :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Matt "yah even I can see she is sick"

Caleb "Im not a goat person but I hope she makes it"

:sigh: its bad when your brothers notice she isnt well :( :tears:

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :hug: :hug:
    You can pull her through this Stacey. :hug: :hug:

5. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

If you have banamine- I would give that too- help to bring her fever down and make her feel a little better!

She will pull through!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I was going to suggest the same thing....it also helps stimulate appetite.... I pray... she will be OK.... :pray: :hug:

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep she already gave that.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks for the info... :hug: I am praying for her.... :pray:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :hug: sounds like your doing everything.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    THanks Ashely for letting them know I forgot to mention that I had given the banamine

Ok so I was cleaning the pen and she was just laying there an coughing but this time it sounded "felmy" you know so I watched her and she must be coughing stuff up since she moves her mouth after coughing -- good sign??

I got her to moved out of the sun because where she was laying was in the sun. I led her to the shade which also happens to have her water and hay -she went right to the water and drank :clap: and then was eating a small amount of hay. Is back in the sun but standing. :roll:

Yah I do plan to put her kids back with her - they miss her already. But I wanted to give her a small rest. She can see them and they hang by the fence line and nibble on her ears when she was laying down LOL

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey....I'm no expert, but when Bones had Pneumonia so bad when we first brought him home and then Murphy caught it, I had a breeder from Texas suggest to me to give them chewable Vit C tablets......they love them....I would give 2 tablets in the a.m and 2 in the p.m (he was like 15lbs).......He also ran a fever of 105 and we gave banamine to......after 2 months they are finally over it, still cough every now and then but are thriving very well.......I so pray :pray: for your Sweet Pea to get over this.
    Hang in there......it is so frustrating when one is down and your doing everything you can, but wonder if you can do more.......I went through this for 2 months with Bones and Murphy.

One more thing.....I went through nurti-drench like water also....I would pump them with some a couple of times a day.
    Take care, Denise

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    just to add my 2c, Stacey if you can manage to get her up for a few hours each day, that really helps. When they are down, pneumonia can take them so fast. If she will stay on her feet once you lift her up, I'd do that as often as you are able. If not, you can try making a sling to keep her up, or putting her over a hay bale (legs on each side)

I'm not sure what your LA concentration and dose rate is, but ours is 1cc/10kg now for pneumonia, I've done that dosage, plus 1ml so for a 50kg goat they get 6cc.

:hug: praying for you and her :pray: hope she pulls through

oh, if you have a dog rug I'd put that on her too

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thanks Keren yes thats why I made her get up that time. I left for a bit came back and she was doing good. Went on a trail ride real quick, came back and she wanted out with the rest of the goats. Came in got thermometer - temp is 102.9 so she is holding steady on her own :leap: because by now the banamine from 10:30am is warn off for sure ( 6:30pm now).

She is eating, chewing cud and drinking, butting other goats too. Not 100% as her heart isnt in everything you can see it, but she is doing MUCH better I feel so much better too.

14. This is so hard. I really think I lost my last doe to this. In a matter of three days she was gone. My heart goes out to you. I am preying for a good outcome. :pray:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Aww, Stacey, I am so sorry that she's so ill! Sounds as though she is a fighter though, she will certainly pull through this with you as her nurse.
    This could possibly be the reason why she was losing weight as well. :hug:

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    gave more banamine last night at 10:00pm

this morning temp is 103.3 so a bit elevated but not terrible. She called to me :love:

Gave her another shot of LA 200

will give her another banamine shot before I leave for work.

flemmy cough is still there - but I feel this is good, it is breaking up instead of just sitting in her chest.

I left her out with the herd today since she wanted out last night and seems to be holding her own. As to exposure to the other goats, well she was with them when she was most sick so I am just watching everyone

17. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Sounds like your doing good with her Stacey, and she sounds like she is on the mend!

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am happy ...there is improvement.... :hug: sounds good.... :thumbup:

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacey, Sounds like you were right on top of things to catch it.

Great job. :thumb:

20. Amen, great job. I know my doe showed no signs until she was doing very poor. I did all I could and gave her everything I could and in two days she was just gone. It was a very hard lesson. I miss her much but I am very goad to hear things are going well for your lil one. :love: :hug: