Sweet Pea

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Jan 22, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    So i dont know where to begin, that darn goat!

decided to make on trip instead of two to get sweet pea bred and pick up my new doe. Sweet pea goes into heat every 10 days almost like clockwork.

Unfortunatly she decided to come into heat 2 days early :hair:

She was in heat this morning but wasnt sure if it was a standing heat.

I was able to work out getting two cages into my brothers jeep. She decided that leaving her pen and getting in the jeep was not an option!

After straining my neck and praying real hard she was in the cage and we were off.

an hour and 30 min later she was in with the buck and not to happy about it. we left here there for 30+ minutes and she kept running from Vice and calling to me. Then just before we were to give up on the whole breeding thing she decides that Mr. Luthor in the other pen is much more to her liking. OK lets give it a try. once in the buck pen she starts flagging and stands for him once -- not positive he was able to get the job done before she ran away. Luthor is very slow he takes his time romancing. She did stand one more time (or I held her to make her stand, not sure I cant remember) and then we called it quits because I had to leave.

:GAAH:

She drives me nuts!

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    :ROFL: Sorry, but it's early and the picture in my mind of tiny little you, dragging this little goat around just made me lol! And, that she preferred a guy "other" then the one chosen for her...LOL! Thanks Stacey! Now tell us again why you don't want to keep a buck?

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Boy I feel your pain. I've had my share of does like that. Picky and finicky. Hope she settles for you so that you can be done with that fun. Good luck!

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    This strongly reminds me of the reasons I decided to get a buck =]

LW

5. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    :ROFL: :ROFL: Well that gave me the laugh I needed for the day! Sounds like Sweet Pea had plans of her own... :ROFL:

6. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Sweet Pea is obviously a woman of discriminating tastes who know what she likes. That, or she just really enjoys finding new ways to make you crazy!

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have had my share of those (going through it with Twilight right now!)..... and hate it! And you all make fun of me for being a "buck hoarder" :ROFL:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh you guys!!! LOL

Yes I thinking about getting a buck, either keeping a buck kid from Angie (Lola's breeder said she has the pedigree to back her up and if her udder is good it would be a fine choice :D) or trading one of my buck kids to another breeder for a buck kid.

But this all hinges on my parents -- I have to convince them that it is a good idea.

At Noah's Acre (Lola's breeder) there was 2 bucks and neither smelled unless I got really close to them. I am really hoping that I can get a buck like that.

Anyway yes she does like to come up with ways to torture me, little bugger

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That reminds me of Anna. She didn't want anything to do with Zorro and I knew she was in heat! The little brat wanted Larkspur instead. :hair:

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Sweet Pea, you little bugger. :greengrin:

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    You know Stacey, you could trade bucks out each year after breeding season, always use a junior and you won't have a smelling issue. Juniors just don't stink like senior bucks. Just a thought.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    now to find someone who is willing to do that with me! Bucks can be a hot comodity or not wanted at all. So hard to know.

My worse fear would be having the buck and then when he is older not able to sell him then I would have to send him to the auction or pay to have him wethered ( I cant see this as being inexpensive due to my vet being pricy). I might need to price that out before I make any commitments to a buck.

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Have you thought about finding someone willing to lease a buck out to you for breeding season at your place? Maybe keep him a month and then give him back?

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah -- most people who have quality bucks wont do that. There was a lady - but her registered bucks arent shown and their pedigrees aren the greatest. I used them in the years past but I want to have kids with pedigrees that people will want.

So I just need to make some good friends at shows like I started this year and then people will know the quality of my goats and they will want them. Angie's kids will have the pedigree - now if her udder is good her buck/s will be worth something. She should have a good udder as her mom did and her granddams is awesome (2008 national champion doe btw)

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    the other thing to remember is that if they are disbudded real well and the scent glands done - then there is a little less stink also!

16. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    I can feel your pain on weather to get a billy.The new billy we got is a 5 yr old and let me tell you he has the strongest smell about him and he is such a loving guy that he has to rub all over my legs when I'm out side in the pen that man I drop my pants at the back door I just hope no one can see me.

17. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    The only buck we got that really smells now is Mozart one of our fainters. Pretty guy no personalty. Makes pretty babies also.

Sweat Pea seems to be a woman set in her ways. :shades: And a handful. :wink: Hope you are able to get her breed hun :slapfloor:

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    now that she is out of heat she is back to her sweet reserved self. to bad she goes into heat like every 10 days -- was driving me up a wall.........maybe I can have 5 months of bliss. to bad all my reg kids will be sired by the same buck -- but thats what I get for having a picky doe!