The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a question.....what should I feel on top of their head where their horns are suppose to be? Knots? I feel nothing on her head.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Often times with doe babies it takes a couple of days (sometimes longer) before you can feel their horn buds......boys are more prominent.......my newest doe babies were small and they are one week old today and I can just barely discern where their buds are.........

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's so hard to leave the house when u are waiting on kids to arrive! Do y'all think I need to be concerned about Moms udders getting smaller Sable will be a week old this Saturday

image-3394394970.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I made I to town and back without missing anything.....Lol, feel like a dummy asking about the udder question....just kind of looked liked one side was drying up. : D

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
No kiddo's when going to town and back, oh darn, sorry about that, it happens a lot that way, but I guess not this time, LOL;)

You are not a dummy at all, if one side is being nursed,by both kids, pick a kid and train, to the ignored side, make it the same kid every time. The kid will make it it's own. If you have to milk out just a little, if it is being ignored then, do so, if it looks tight, to make her comfortable and before putting a kid on her, if she doesn't want that side nursed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would not post picture and text, but I have two girls that look like they will pop! And the other 3 carrying down under the barrel.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well of course she kidded while we had a reaction out of town.....our neighbors ck'd our animals at 7 everything was fine went back I guess a few hrs later ....I have a set of twins, and I guess that our LGD cleaned the kids before a Mom did and now she is rejecting the kids! Any suggestions? Do I make them bottle fed babies or should I work with Mom to accept them.....my neighbor said she butted one of them pretty bad! Can't get home soon enough!

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
If she dropped her afterbirth, rub it all over the kids, from head to tail really good. Tie up mom and one back leg, the one you are working from, so she can't kick, milk out just enough to make her comfortable, put the kids one at a time on her teat to nurse.

Is she a first time momma?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If she dropped her afterbirth, rub it all over the kids, from head to tail really good. Tie up mom and one back leg, the one you are working from, so she can't kick, milk out just enough to make her comfortable, put the kids one at a time on her teat to nurse.

Is she a first time momma?
Yes she is, can kids tell if they are being rejected? I was able to hold hr against the wall in the barn and let them nurse. By late this evening ....the kids didnt want her milk......it was like they knew she didn't want them.....I brought them in the house with me tonight....I didn't trust her to be alone with them.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Is she hitting or pushing them?

If not, I would pen her up with her kids alone to bond, go out every couple of hours and get the kids to nurse. Unless, you feel they are now better suited for bottle babies.

If the mom is kicking at them, when they try to nurse, it is normal for First timers, if you have to tie her up and one back leg, do so.
It is when they are trying to hurt the kids, is when they should be pulled from her. Momma may need to be taught to be a momma, but use your best judgment.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is she hitting or pushing them?

If not, I would pen her up with her kids alone to bond, go out every couple of hours and get the kids to nurse. Unless, you feel they are now better suited for bottle babies.

If the mom is kicking at them, when they try to nurse, it is normal for First timers, if you have to tie her up and one back leg, do so.
It is when they are trying to hurt the kids, is when they should be pulled from her. Momma may need to be taught to be a momma, but use your best judgment.
UPDATE

We took the twins out this morning and held her while they nursed, she kicks them...we held one leg up while the hubby held her head....this worked fine......she butts them hard....it's not a warning. Happy she is releasing milk still.now I have them all situated to my liking.....I have the twins inside the pen with her, but the kids are in a metal crate.....they fed off of her at lunch and we will go back out and feed this afternoon and again before bedtime.....we will stay on this schedule till she either bonds or until they get on feed.....I will let them out to play with the other kids when I am in the pasture. Think this will work....just wish it weren't so dang hot!

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
If she is being mean, you may have to bottle feed or continue using her the way you are to feed them.
I am trying to picture how many feeding times you are feeding them on momma.They believe they need more nourishment from momma, more often though, to get enough and how long they nurse. How are their tummies, full.medium, empty feeling?

Being in a crate, not sure if that will work, if it is hot out. They could overheat in there.

Usually, if the Momma's are really mean, not just a slight nudge or light kick, from trying to nurse, they won't accept them. A week goes by, it definitely won't work, that is giving her a lot of time.

What has it been, 4 days now?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts