swine flu

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Deena, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    Have yall been following the news?It looks as if it could be the start of a pandemic. :hair:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no i dont watch the news -- I have no idea what is 'happening' :shrug:

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Nope. I am at school by the time the news comes on.

4. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    So far it has who and the cdc concerned.Google the news on it.I dont want to panic but its sounds scary to say the least.Baxters headquarters may start trying to work on a vaccine.

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    That is scary. I hate it when there is an outbreak in foods. :sigh:

6. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    heres a little snip it of news.Officials around the world on Sunday raced to contain an outbreak of swine flu....RowdyKidz its being passed from person to person.

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thank you....Deena...for warning all of us ...it is tremendously appreciated... :hug:

Oh my :shocked: ....I am glad I don't have pigs ....but it doesn't matter... if you do or if you don't......that is very scary....I watch the big world news alot ....and they didn't talk about it ....but I did do a google search....and found it.....
    here is a link for some of you that couldn't find it...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/2 ... 91373.html

9. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    I wonder if it is a pandemic how long it will be until they shut the schools down.

10. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    White House: Public health emergency declared for swine flu

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I heard about it yesterday at a goat show. I had not heard anything before that. I heard there that 12 people have died. I do not know if that is the true numbers but I guess it is really scary right now.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't mean to be a party pooper here or say things are serious when they are, BUT I"m really not the doom and gloom type and haven't we been through this 'pandemic' thing before? What about Anthrax? SARS? Bird Flu? The normal flu? Wasn't mumps or whooping cough or meningitis another possibly too? At one time or another all these things were supposed to kill us all and we were all supposed to be deathly afraid of them but nothing really came of them. The media loves to put fear into the minds of Americans, have you ever seen many positive stories on the news? Lets get everybody all panicked though.

Sorry for venting, but thats jmho :shades:

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    My husband has been following this and talking to me about it.

I think alot of it comes down to the public health system. In the US we have a very good health system, where in Mexico and others they do not have a very good one - so the water is contaminated, the soil is contaminated, which makes an increase in the spread of a disease like this.

The people that have died, to my understanding have been in Mexico. There have been about 50 people in the US to get it, all over the nation, ranging from 9-60 years old. No one has died, and all are over it or recovering well. Only a very small percentage even went to the hospital.

I do know that the media sometimes likes to "rile" us up on certain issues, but as long as we are washing our hands before eating, coughing, sneezing, shaking hands with others, the chances of contracting anything, swine flu or any other pathogen, as minimal.

It is good to be aware of what is happening and to keep an eye on it, but pandemic, not at this point. - IMO

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Allison.... :wink: :D

15. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, I'm not really too worried about it at this point.

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm not very worried either; but, I think people should always be prepared for the worst, and should have supplies on hand and be ready to take action when needed.. better safe than sorry. If something did happen there are too many people would would end up in a bad way. A strong immune system is one of the best defences right right.

It's really sad that these things happen though :tears:

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, that is so sad! I haven't really been following it, never watch the news but were listening to my parents. It is something to be guarded against, like Allison mentioned. The media does like to get people riled up but maybe that is what is needed. . . everyone needs to be careful.

19. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    Who has switched the alert to level 5 which means pandemic imminent.