Switching Minis To A Different Feed-Sheep Owners Please Look

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HollowbeadRanch, Jan 6, 2008.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I posted a Thread in the Chatter Box explaining that this Spring I am hoping to add a couple of lambs/ewes to my list of animals. Therefore, I am wanting to get advice on what you feed you Minis that would also be safe for feeding Sheep? I had thought about switching them to a basic All Grain or something like that. Right now we are feeding a medicated goat feed that was created to memic the intemidator boer goat feed that they have in Texas. We got started feeding this back when we had the Boers because it was the only feed we could find that would keep them at about the weight we wanted, and just never switched to anything different after making the switch from the Boers to the Minis. Since this feed is made specifically for goats it has a higher amount of Copper in it, which I am sure wouldn't be good for Sheep. So I am wanting to start gradually switching the goats to a more "Sheep Friendly" feed, so they will be completely switched over by Spring.

1) What type of grain do you feed your Minis?

2) How much of it do you feed each goat per day?

Thank you so much!!!

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well, I don't have minis but I feed my sheep and goats the same feed, it's a feed actually made for both sheep and goats. (It doesn't have much copper at all in it so I have to supplement the goats sometimes.) I'll get the name of in the morning if you'd like.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    becareful if you take out the copper in your goats diet you will end up with goats with not so good looking coats and their ability to resist disease etc seems to go down with it.

I suggest a mineral that the goats can get to but the sheep cant

4. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yes please! Thank you!

Since the lambs/ewes will be in the kidding pasture they will get put up in stalls at night, so when they are separated from the goats I might offer the goats some minerals. Unless someone can think of another way to get the goats the copper without the sheep getting to it?

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am really not sure how to keep the sheep from getting into goat minerals...I think maybe at night putting some out for the goats..but first thing in the morning, I would pick those minerals up and store them as far away from the sheep as you can get it

6. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    That's what I was thinking. Placing it in the stalls with the goats at night and then removing it in the morning before letting everyone out together to graze.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    That would probably work...I just can't think of any other way that wouldn't be costly

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah probably your best bet. And would be easy enough to do with your set up ideas

9. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thank you. That will probably be what I do.

What does everyone feed their minis (that would also be safe for sheep? And how much do you feed them per day?

10. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Agway sells a brand of grain called Southern States that is for sheep and goats. There are also several mineral blocks for both sheep and goats. The one I use is Ultralyks.

11. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thank you! I will check around here and see if anyone carries that!