Swollen Ankles on Nubian Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by EJessen89, Aug 11, 2020.

1. EJessen89

EJessen89 New Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Wellston, OK
    My wife and I are new to goats and have had our Nubian Does Thelma and Louise for a little over a year now. I have never noticed this before, but a few days ago Thelma's front ankles appear to be pretty swollen. We trimmed hooves the other night thinking that might help, and noticed some slight flaking or chipping on her hooves as well. We got some Goat Mineral yesterday that we will leave out for them instead of the mineral block that they have lost interest in. Besides a trim and additional mineral, any idea on what to do would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Does it hurt? You may want a vet to look at her. They do need a good loose mineral out for them all the time. The block doesn't give them enough and has too much molasses. They could probably use selenium. But I'd have it verified that it isn't an injury.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would definitely have a vet look at her. Injury to both ankles would not be my first go to. There could be quite a few causes for this, so do have her checked out. DO give a quality loose mineral at all times, however I don't think you will cure what is going on with her here. Has she been tested for CAE?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Is she pregnant?
    CAE negative?

6. EJessen89

EJessen89 New Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Wellston, OK
    Update on Thelma - We found some old pictures of her and the front ankles were fairly large, but we dropped both goats off at the vet this morning for a check up. We have had them for a little over a year so the vet will do vaccinations and a fecal test as well as look at Thelma's ankles to see what is going on.

And thank you all for the replies and advice. Not sure on the CAE but hope to confirm today, and she is not pregnant, at least she shouldn't be lol. We just have the two females for now.

happybleats likes this.
  7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Definitely test for CAE. Glad the vets on it

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California