Swollen Ears and Fever

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by polvinale, Sep 13, 2016.

1. polvinale

polvinale Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Our 6-month old Saanen wether has swollen ears and a fever of 105.5 F. Called the vet and waiting for a callback but is there anything we can/should do now? I can tell he's hurting, poor guy.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Try to get his fever down.

If he has swollen ears and that high temp, it may be infection going on. The vet may have to see what is in the swelling and drain it. Or he was injured and just happened to get pneumonia. How are his lung sounds, any nasal drainage, cough?

If the vet takes too long, start him on antibiotics and give him some banamine for swelling, pain and to get that temp down. If the vet can see him soon, then he or she can determine what is going on with him.

Did you tell the vets office it is an emergency?

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Also ice packs behind the ears.

4. polvinale

polvinale Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Lungs sound normal no nasal drainage or cough. Vet asked what I have on hand drug-wise and all I've got til tomorrow is oxytetracycline so I gave him a dose of that. Nothing seems to be wrong inside the ear it's actually the outer part that is swollen. Checking on him shortly to see if there's any temperature change. ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1473813044.973878.jpg

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    look close for a bite such as snake or spider...giving benedryl may help with swelling response

6. polvinale

polvinale Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Might be allergies. His temperature is down and I have given two doses of Benadryl, one last night and one this morning. His eyes and nose are swollen too now and the Benadryl didn't really help. Anyone have any herbal remedies?

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would have the vet look him. Glad the temp is down but I am concerned about the swelling around his nose and possibly cutting off air supply.

Hematoma of the ear can be from injury, but with high fever that is concerning and something else.
    I agree it could be some sort of bite or sting, have you looked really close for holes, red spots or injury?
    He really needs a vets insight and be seen.

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Give the human adult dose of Benedryl, not the children's dosage. If you look around the ear, you will probably find a bite. (Spider or most likely a yellow jacket sting!) I had a doe last week with the same symptoms. I finally found the stinger and scraped it out.
    If the swelling hasn't gone down, call a vet. Their anti histamines are stronger than what we can get.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    have you been able to see if there is a bite or sting? another thought is if he got caught in a fence, pulling free can cause swelling due to pressure...I agree Banamine may help the swelling...what benedryl are you using? kids or adults?

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I meant Benedryl - wrote Banamine originally. Fingers were typing faster than brain was thinking!

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    LOL.. I know the feeling...but Banamine still wouldnt hurt lol

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    But what throws me off is, she had a high fever. Quite strange.

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    this is why I think there was a bite involved...snake or bug

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. polvinale

polvinale Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Latest update: the vet came out on and did a thorough exam on all the goats. No fever since that first day and so she concluded that it was either a sting or bite of some kind, because she noticed a similar (but less severe) swelling to one of my other kids' ears. We decided to keep up with the Benadryl(adult, 25 mg tabs). And today my husband and I found the ground bee's nest that was likely the source of the stings while out moving paddocks. Ha. Not the most desirable way to get a confirmation of diagnosis! The swelling is almost completely gone and Bird is back to his happy self.
    Not really sure what caused the fever, so we are still keeping a careful eye on everyone's vitals.

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    An allergic reaction can cause a fever when the body releases histamines ( that causes the swelling and inflammation) . Glad you figured it out, did you guys get stung? Those ground hornets are mean and aggressive at this time of the year!

17. polvinale

polvinale Member

Dec 30, 2015

You guys think the stings would have caused the fever?

18. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes indeed, I have an allergy to Yellow Jackets and being stung does cause a fever along with swelling and pain.

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Glad you found cause. Yes...i agree..it surely can cause fever....

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad all is getting better. :)