The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last of the babies got dehorned yesterday. One seems to have a lot of discharge from one horn, clear, and the eye on that side is a little swollen. There also seems to be some clear discharge from the eye (and maybe a bit of white discharge at the corners) but it could just be from the horn. I rinsed his head and lightly rinsed around his eye. All the babies seem a little out of it and tired today (they also got banded). This baby with the swollen eye (his name is Forest) was in the box for dehorning for a bit while we waited for the iron to heat up, and I'm thinking he may have banged his eye into something.

He's eating and sleeping mostly, tends to stick close to the barn and other than being a bit sleepier than usual seems to be normal behavior wise. Just wanted to see if there is anything else I should look for or anything else I should do for his eye. I'm guessing it'll resolve itself but . . .

Also what should we expect from the banding? This is our first time banding, and I forgot to ask the vet before she left. I've read on it before, but I wanted first hand experience or advice.

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
I would get a shot of Banamine into that baby ASAP. Even if the disbudding was done the same amount of time as the others, he could have been affected. I would not be surprised if the swollen eye is from the disbudding.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Affected by what?

She gave him a numbing agent when she disbudded them, not sure exactly what it was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts