swollen face still - update, new vet page 3

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lesserweevil, Mar 27, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Hi
    I'm not actually home at the minute... but my friend says that Whissy's face is still very swollen from her accident on Sunday. Her 5 days of penicillin ended yesterday.... I take it she does still need to stop the penicillin whether her face is still swollen or not, as she shouldn't be getting too much of the stuff?

LW

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: swollen face still?

is the swelling area hot? if so she needs a differant medication as the area is getting infected.

swelling could be from irritation due to eating and chewing cud and it cant heal as fast.

But if she got some cud or grain/grass/hay in the injury she might be developing an infection.

i woudl call the vet to see what his thoughts are on it

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree with stacey...the swelling is a concern...especially after this much time....I to...recommend asking the advice of a vet..he/she may want to see her... :worried:

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

ok. well first I will see if I can get one of the guys to get my friend to look at her to see what she thinks. I dont quite trust the guys judgement...

and I will be back day after tomorrow... which will be exactly 1 week after her accident. Hopefully that is soon enough if she needs to go back to the vet.

In the meantime is it good to have stopped the penicillin or should I continue...?(get them to continue)

LW

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

first off....what does the area look like... is it discolored...red.. irritated ..smelly...hot to the touch? Did the stitches pop open? Is it oozing?

I know 20 questions...

Or just swollen?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I would continue for a total of 7-10 days (or until you return/or or a vet says otherwise)

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

I'm not home... I dont know what it looks like

LW

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Yes, I would continue the Pen G. It might just be holding any infection at bay for now.

I usually give Pen G over 7 days anyways.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I agree. Even if that is not working the best and she still had a infection, it is better then nothing, also sometimes it just takes longer to get rid of things like that. Mouth injury's are the hardest to heal because they are always moving it.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Go ahead and continue the penG .......But please ...get her looked at soon ....the sutures may of festered....and pen will not help much... if the area has puss built up... and needs to be relieved ...that could be why she is swollen..... :worried:

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

Dad has been instructed to get the guys to continue the pen... and to get my friend to look at her mouth.
    I have streptomycin too if necessary.
    LW

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

Ok i am now home... and not a happy bunny

This is Whisper's face today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, her stitches have torn out, she is drooling cud all down her face as she cannot hold it in her mouth... and I am quite upset.

So much for the guys keeping an eye on her. I'm planning another vet trip tomorrow to get her seen. I phoned the vet today and he said "leave it another week" but hopefully he just didnt understand the situation!

It's not infected and the swelling has gone down, so I am not continuing any penicillin in the meantime. I feel helpless anyway. She does not appear to be in any pain and is chewing her cud (and drooling it) quite happily.

I just hope that it doesnt mean she will always have that slit at the side of her mouth. It is ONE WEEK now and they should have done something sooner. I am angry and upset and arrrghh. The guy minding them says that he doesn't really feel any emotions for them and it is just like looking after a shed to him. I dont know how I am going to cope these last 5 days away from home (Wednesday through Sunday) before I am back for the rest of the month.

My parents are very sympathetic and I think my dad will be out there looking at the animals during the week.

LW

13. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

It's god that you are taking her to the vet hopefully he will take good care of her :hug: ...I would try to clean the area up and keep as clean as possible to limit the chance of infection.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: swollen face still - update, photos

Oh.. I would be upset to..... :(
    I cannot understand why your vet won't see her....if it was me... I would call another vet....
    that is not helping her healing process....at all.. :shocked: :(

15. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

Well I am going to phone him again tomorrow morning and say "I'm really quite concerned about her, can I bring her around sometime this afternoon" and see what he says. I dont want to go to another vet because he is known as the "goat vet" around here and... yeah well... we'll see. I really want him to see her though! her mouth is kind of hanging down there, as you can see in the 2nd photo.

LW

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

oh my goodness I wasnt expecting to see that :shocked:

so sorry for the situation with the guys that were supposed to be caring for her

Call your vet and tell him you are coming in at x time, and you'd like him to take a look at her. Dont ask if you can bring her, tell him you are bringing her.

My vet is great that way, if there's something I feel needs to be looked at, I call them and say I'm leaving now, I'll be there in 40 min and within probably half an hour of me getting there, they have someone see the goat. If its something less urgent, I call them and ask for an appointment.

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Poor girl! And poor you! I know how much you love your goats and I know how hard it is for you to leave their care up to someone who just feeds them.

I really hope the vet can make her right again, even knowing that she isn't in pain, cud drool looks awful on a white goat :hug:

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

tell the vet that.. it is really bad ....and you feel ..it is an emergency and drooling her cud...as much as she is doing.... is not helping with ...the healing process.....I need your expert opinion.. :hug:

19. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

I went to the vets with her, he didn't want to know, he said she was fine, he didnt want me to show him how the stitches were ripped out. He cut the lower one off (and part of the skin too so it bled) when I complained that it was hanging down there, he was very brusque and rough and didn't care at all. I was almost in tears and my friend who drove me agreed that he was very nasty about it. He said in a couple of months she'll be fine and only drooling "a bit". I dont want her to be drooling AT ALL I want it to be healed!!!

This is after I ask him to sort out blood tests for my goats and he refuses and says it's a load of bull**** and he can't be bothered.

I feel like a traitor thinking about going to someone else seeing that we have ALWAYS had him as a vet ever since we first arrived like 25 years ago before I was born. But I am quite upset and am going to phone a neighbour and see what vet he goes to and see what my options are.

And now I am going to go get some warm water and salt and clean up Whissy's face. I am also going to keep her inside so that hopefully she doesnt have so much mess on her face from grass cud. Please if anyone thinks that's a bad idea let me know...

and I am giving her different hay that is finer and less coarse so hopefully it doesn't hurt her face so much. I feel really bad for her and just don't know what to do. :angry: :hair:

20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Re: swollen face still - update, VET trip

Oh wow - what on earth happened to make your vet do a complete 360? I mean, it sounds like previous to this, you were happy with him ...

I too would get a second opinion.

I think you are doing the right thing, cleaning her up and also keeping her in. I'd watch and make sure she can eat the hay alright. What I usually do for does with sore mouths is give them a warm bran mash - they love it - with a tiny bit of molasses in it - and lucerne tea - both the water part and the wet chaff part. But I just remembered you dont have lucerne :doh: So I'd offer her the warm bran mash.

I agree with you completely - that vet was way out of line and you have every right to want the doe fixed up properly.