The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone, has anyone ever seen a swollen jaw on a goat? Meet Penny, just noticed this afternoon my 6 years old PB French Apline doe seems to have developped a swollen jaw. See pics. I palpatated it and it is swollen a bit but it is soft, not hard. She doesnt flinch when pressing anywhere on her jaw or around the immediate area so it does not appear to be painful. She did have a rough bout of cooccidia 2 months ago and was treated with Corid along with the rest of the herd. She is still a bit skinny but but eating and appears to be feeling well. No other symptoms that weve noticed so far. Her poos are ok(ish). She needed two rounds of Corid which was pretty hard on her stomach and beleive she is still recovering from that. Everyones else's poos are good.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Good day everyone, has anyone ever seen a swollen jaw on a goat? Meet Penny, just noticed this afternoon my 6 years old PB French Apline doe seems to have developped a swollen jaw. See pics. I palpatated it and it is swollen a bit but it is soft, not hard. She doesnt flinch when pressing anywhere on her jaw or around the immediate area so it does not appear to be painful. She did have a rough bout of cooccidia 2 months ago and was treated with Corid along with the rest of the herd. She is still a bit skinny but but eating and appears to be feeling well. No other symptoms that weve noticed so far. Her poos are ok(ish). She needed two rounds of Corid which was pretty hard on her stomach and beleive she is still recovering from that. Everyones else's poos are good.

Thank you!
Could be a sign of worms. Have you had her checked lately?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,989 Posts
This could be bottle jaw or swelling due to sting or something like that. Bottle jaw is a sign of serious anemia cause by barber pole worms. Check here eyelids to see if the look pale. But unless they are deep red, I'd probably deworm her just to be on the safe side. If you have the ability to get a fecal done pronto, then that would be best before you deworm. You can try Benadryl too, incase it's an allergic reaction.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Oh my! Swelling like this is most likely bottle jaw - like MellonFriend said, check for anemia. Bottle jaw really feels like they have a water balloon under there, and it is usually symmetrical. If she is pale, you are going to want to start treatment ASAP and aggressively.

I recommend a combination dewormer for 5 days, same dose once a day, probiotics twice a day, and red cell once a day to get her system back in check.

If her eyes look good, I would recommend getting a fecal just to rule that out ; but it may be a sting if her anemia is fine. I would recommend a single Benadryl once a day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good morning everyone, thank you all for the advice. You all seem to be on the same page without contradictions which is nice in these situations. I only had half a dose left of ivermectin in the bottle last night. On my way to the farm store shortly.

The swelling is bit worst this morning and she did not get up right away when we went to do our chores and check up on her.

Ill do the following and check back in with a status:

- a combination dewormer for 5 days, same dose once a day, probiotics twice a day, and red cell once a day.

Tjanks again, you guys are the best!

·
Super Moderator
36,119 Posts
Bottle jaw will come and go for a while. It's a reaction to the anemia.
Red cell (6 cc per 100 # once a day for 1-2 weeks (depends on severity)then weekly until color improves)
along with b 12 (or b complex in the least),once daily
30 cc of acv/water mix (sp 15 cc each) drench all at once to help speed recovery.
High protien foods also help rebuild red blood cells.
Might be a good idea to give a dose of milk of magnesia a few hours after deworming to help flush everything and bind any toxins the dead worms cause. (15 cc per 60#)

Best wishes

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,676 Posts
Did you actually confirm to see if the goat is anemic via FAMACHA score/inner eyelid colors? Could very well be a sting or bite and I would do more diagnostics before heavily deworming.

Dewormer resistance, such a huge problem right now, we need to be so much more careful than we have been.

·
Super Moderator
36,119 Posts
Until much improved.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We wormed and gave her all the supplements that were recommended above and she is doing remarkably better. We havent done a fecal yet as i needed Epsum salt which we did not have in our town... very odd! We live on an island and vets are unreasonably expensive so weve learned how to do fecals ourselves... which needs epsum salt for the solution. Anyway, shes not in immediate danger anymore and will do the fecal shortly. Ill post the findings after.

Thank you all for the help, you are all amazing.

·
Super Moderator
36,119 Posts
Glad she's feeling better. You ca. Also use sugar for a solution I believe. ??

·
Super Moderator
36,119 Posts
Tableware Font Recipe Screenshot Paper

1 - 20 of 21 Posts