The Goat Spot Forum banner

Swollen leg and knee

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  happybleats 
#1 ·
Our young doe cut her knee. She began limping and her upper leg and knee were very swollen. The vet came and gave her injections of antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and pain medicine. He said to wait a week. But the leg and knee were still swollen. He then prescribed 3 injections of Florfenicol to be injected every other day. Has anyone else had this problem or used this drug? The leg is not particularly hot to touch. But goats usually recover more quickly than this. You are also giving her probiotic to counteract the effects of the antibiotic on her stomach. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Was the first antibiotic given daily? If it wasn't, that may have been your problem. How many days did you give the pain and anti-inflammatory med?

I don't know about the med he gave you. There are times when giving twice a day antibiotic is good so that you know the level of antibiotic is kept at proper level the whole time. At this point I would be giving a 10 to 14 day course of antibiotic.

#3 ·
I agree, antibiotics should of been given daily 2 x a day with certain antibiotics for 5 to 7 days depending.

It may be infected. Does it smell or have any spots that have pus or inflamed at all.

You are right, it should of been less swollen by now unless it was broke or cracked, were xrays taken at all?
Something more may be happening.

#4 ·
I agree...also might try hot/cold compresses...banamine should be continued daily for three to four days to help decreased inflammation and pain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.