The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,806 Posts
Check her famacha. Is it just on the sides or under the chin? Can you get a pic side and front

·
Super Moderator
32,806 Posts
Good news..please keep us posted

Best wishes

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,543 Posts
Hi there! The swelling from anemia can venture out into other areas of the body - but if FAMACHA is normal, I recently saw a case similar to this that was a spreading abscess. Just something to think about! Bite/stings, from snakes or insects, or a hematoma from injury are also all possible.

·
Registered
dary farm
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
293 Posts
so yes she has a collar but we make it very lose.

the vet said it was probobly a bite of some kind or trauma from getting her head stuck in a fence.
oh okay. i could tell there was a collar on her at least at some point, but i couldnt tell if it was on when u took the picture, if it was on i was gonna say it was too tight lol it kinda looked like she had a dark colored color on that was just covered by her hair on her spine cuz of the lighting. yep! better too loose than too tight.. they cant get them off very easily.

has she gotten her head stuck in the fence recently that you've seen? did she give her any meds at all? or will u just wait for the swelling to go down?

·
Registered
dary farm
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh okay. i could tell there was a collar on her at least at some point, but i couldnt tell if it was on when u took the picture, if it was on i was gonna say it was too tight lol it kinda looked like she had a dark colored color on that was just covered by her hair on her spine cuz of the lighting. yep! better too loose than too tight.. they cant get them off very easily.

has she gotten her head stuck in the fence recently that you've seen? did she give her any meds at all? or will u just wait for the swelling to go down?
she has not gotten her head stuck in a fence that we now of. she gave us meds i don't know what they are i would have to go look

·
Registered
916 Posts
Have you considered perhaps an iodine deficiency? You can Google pictures and see if that matches what you are dealing with. A simple test is to put a bit of iodine on the skin like inside the ear and see if it absorbs quickly in a day. Just thinking outside the box. I find it a little hard to understand how that swelling could be related to getting her head stuck in a fence....especially since she doesn't have horns and there was no broken skin. I've never personally dealt with this but I know others have. Maybe others can correct me. What do y'all think?

·
Super Moderator
32,806 Posts
I agree JMLFarms.
A picture of her front and side can helps us see what you see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts