Swollen shoulder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Jul 30, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Ellie, the goat I have been giving Noromycin 300 to, due to suspected pneumonia and off feed. This morning I gave her 4th day Noromycin 300 shot. After that I gave her a pinch of cayenne and honey mixed and some more probiotics. (Actually in reverse order, probiotics first , then a gum rub of cayenne/honey. I took temp and it was 103.7 f. That’s when I noticed the swelling in her right leg just under where I gave the shot. It is soft swollen area about the size of a powder puff. I rub and felt of it and she didn’t hollow. I immediately went and got my children’s benedryl and gave her 20-25 ml. I was pressed to leave for work but I had fed her some green oak leaves as she still will not eat her alfalfa pellets. I took the pats away from her Monday and she still won’t eat the pellets. I left my helper trying to feed her more oak leaves and haven’t heard anything from him yet. What next? Should I give the last Noromycin 300 in the morning or not? She hasn’t really had a high temp except when I gave the shot of banamine Sunday. Temp then was 105.6 f. After that I checked temps every evening and morning s and it had stayed from 101.7f to 103.7. This morning was the 103.7f. See pics of swollen area. IMG_3544.jpg IMG_3545.jpg

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Keep on schedule with your antibiotics.
    If you have been giving it in the evening do that.

What is with the blood?

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    swelling maybe a reaction to the injections. Looks a bit fluid filled though. Give her injections in another location..avoid that side all together. Use warm compresses months swollen area.

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    is that an injection site?

5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Yes at the top of the blood . I had been giving it sub q above front leg and alternating sides each morning. She has one more shot to take. I use a 18 gauge x 1/2 inch needle for the noromycin 300 as it’s kinda thick.

6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Do you think the benedryl was the thing for this reaction or not? Should I have giving it or should I not have giving it? I hope she is in good spirits when I get home this evening.

happybleats likes this.
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Don't keep giving it but do warm compress and monitor it.

friesian49 likes this.
  8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The Benadryl was fine to give but if not. Allergic reaction may not help. Warm compresses should help.

Try giving the next shot where the neck meets the body..in that little dip area. Pull up a good tent..inject then jiggle it about a few seconds.

friesian49 and TCOLVIN like this.
  9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    here is my chart I made , shows where I mean DSC08993_Fotor_Fotor_Fotor pic R_Fotor_Fotor.jpg

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    You made this chart?! I see it all over the internet LOL!

happybleats and Kass like this.
  11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes that is my goat Vixxen. I made this chart for my book. We lost this beautiful girl to silent pneumonia 4 years ago. I have since added our farm name to the chart.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  12. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This evening I gave her the Noromycin 300 on the other side in neck area sub q. I gave her probiotics and cayenne/honey mix rubbed on gums. Temp was 103.7f. The swelling in leg has not gone down and she limps a little from it. I did the heated rice sock on it until the heat was gone , probably 10 minutes at least. She did not eat her alfalfa today and would not eat green oak leaves. I’m at a loss now as what to do. Should I give a Banamine shot? I am worried now because she want eat and she is loosing weight. Help!!

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would give her 6 oz of room temperature dark beer and probiotics. Continue to temp her with different browse foods..oak leaves, vines, pine and cedar limbs..

TCOLVIN likes this.
  14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    A banamine shot wouldn't hurt. May help. Also b complex will help appetite

TCOLVIN likes this.
  15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Off Topic-
    That is a beautiful doe. I'm so sorry that you lost her. What a nice udder, too!

16. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I am sorry, I gave wrong info with the shot I gave. It was b-complex shot , not Noromycin 300. The Noromycin shot will be given in the morning, it will be the 5th one she has had and the last one. I gave it 5 days in a row. When will the swelling go down in the shoulder.

17. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Can I give her a Banamine shot in the morning and a Noromycin 300 shot? Is this too much or not?

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    yes, you can do both at the same time.
    The b complex was the one which swelled? Is your B complex injectable?

19. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Yes, the b complex is injectable. The shot that swelled was the Noromycin 300. I remember she hollowed just before I finished injecting the last little bit. I give one more this morning of Noromycin and a banamine shot. I gave a b-complex last night.

happybleats likes this.