Swollen shoulder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Jul 30, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This morning report. Temp 102.7f. Gave banamine shot and Noromycin 300 shot , 6oz dark flat beer, probiotics, cayenne:honey mix, I tried to feed leaves, oak, pecan, gum, she wanted none. She ate the stick off the gum branch but pull the leaves off, drop them and ate all 18 inches of the wood part of the limb. I Finally decided to pull some nuisance weeds I have been going to spray for weeks and haven’t, she ate every one of those. I pulled them and fed her until she had enough. I put the cobalt and salt block in with her and she was licking the cobalt when I left. The swelling is still large. I’ll try to put a hot sock on it again this evening.

happybleats likes this.
  2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    if you can bring out some hot water in a thermos to keep pretty warm and a rag..keep reapplying the hot compress as long as you are able..

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I use hot water bottles, it helps keep heat in for a longer time period. ;)

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Works unless you are compressing with Epsom salt :);)

TCOLVIN and toth boer goats like this.
  5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I haven’t had the time today to do anything with her except this morning. We are pouring concrete under a new shed and now waiting a little to sweep it, then it will be feed time and I can do something then. Cements truck was here at 7:30am this morning. This has been a rough day but I’m about to be through. Its 95 degrees in the shade. Hopefully rain on the way.

happybleats likes this.
  6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Just fed all the other goats. Ellie still not eating. Swelling gone down a little bit not a lot. I use a warm epson salt compress. I gave her 6 oz. dark flat beer, probotics, cayenne/ honey mix and 4 ml of B Complex shot. I try all kinds of leaves, no luck. I tried hay, she smell it and took a piece and dropped it. I didn’t do a temp because of rain and thunder bad. She is still grinding her teeth bad. I’m surprised she has any left. What now? I’ve tried everything I know.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    How is her poop?

May need to drench with nutritional smoothie!

8. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    What is that?

9. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I saw some stool in the pen that I thought it was hers. It was clumpy and light brown in color. She ate a good bit of weeds this morning. While she was eating I kept pulling them up and feeding them until she had enough. That was about eight o’Clock this morning.

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Fecal test may be in order.

Can you remind me how this situation started?

Carrots, celery, dark greens, applesauce, banana, alfalfa slurry - nutritional smoothie!!

11. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    She went off feed. She would not come into feed lot to eat. I carried food to her in pasture and she still would not eat. She was popping pellets when this started. I penned her up and took temp. It was 105.7 f. Gave banamine and Noromycin 300 for 5 day stretch. I almost gave her some toltrazuril coccidiocide (new medicine for Coccidia. One dose now 2nd dose in ten days. Also Cydectin For now/10/10. She hasn’t eaten enough to do a fecal except for this morning.

12. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    She ate some weeds this morning. A pretty good load of them.

13. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am wondering if infection has spread.
    The swelling may need to be drained.

I would have a vet tap into it and see what it is.

If it went sepsis, she is in trouble.
    And you will not make progress, if it is infection, unless you have it drained.
    Not sure that is what is happening but, I have to wonder.

happybleats likes this.
  15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree..a vet maybe best if the swelling isn't reduced.

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Definately a vet.

17. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Swelling has went down more than half now. I did a fecal on her but not sure what i saw. It was either BP worms or Coccidia. I think BP. I beginning to try to do my own fecals. I saw 10 eggs in a single grid on a McMaster slide. I think that’s high. So to be sure I gave her dose of toltrazuril and a round of ivermectin. This his evening I saw her poop again so either the leaves or something she eats. The poop was almost pellets sticking together. She has no grass in the pen she is in. I also saw her urinate. She would not eat this evening much at all. She ate a mouthful of pine needles but wouldn’t eat cedar limbs. She still is grinding her teeth bad. I did not get a temp this evening because I ran off and left my thermometer back at the house. I’ll do one on the morning. Other than falling off in weight she appears fine, except for the teeth grinding and not eating. She keeps her tail up and curved over her back. No diarrhea yet. I going to try and find the stuff to make a smoothie but where I live my stores don’t carry all that recipe you gave me. I make just make up what I can get. I make try a prune and garlic glove in the morning.

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  18. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Thanks for asking .

happybleats likes this.
  19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would give her cd antitoxin probiotics and more dark beer.

Any safe dark greens carrots and celery are good for smoothies..kale..romaine lettuce..ect.

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  20. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I have alfalfa, can make a slurry. Can purée garlic, prunes and carrots. Mix and drench maybe in the morning. I thought the cd anti toxin took two weeks to get in system? I look and see if I have any left. I gave her this about 2 months ago then a 4 week follow up.