Swollen shoulder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Jul 30, 2020.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Cd antitoxin is not the same as cd&t. See which you have on hand. The antitoxin gives immediate protection against Enterotoxemia when rumen is compromised. The Cd&t is a vaccine, give long term protection and takes 2 weeks to become effective.

Just an important note; its best not to vaccinate a sick goat.

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Not the CD&T Toxoid Vaccine - the Antitoxin is not a vaccine or toxoid at all.

3. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Does tractor supply have it? I went down this morning and gave her 3 oz of flat dark beer, a B complex shot, probiotics, and temp check, 100.8. Still grinding teeth. I pulled tall grass and put in her trough and when o went out the gate she was trying to eat some. I’ll try and purée some alfalfa this evening. Her eye score is a 4 now at best. Maybe the wormers will help get back on track, I’ll see if I can find antitoxin. Thanks

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  4. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Just looked, no I don’t have cd antitoxin on hand.

5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Valley Vet is out of stock, Jeffers doesn’t carry it and tractor supply doesn’t have it. premier supply has the 50ml bottle (5 doses)
    For $47.95 plus air shipping. Is this about right? How long is shelf life? I may call my vet in the morning and see if he has a shot I can get from him. Do I give more than one shot or just one and done?

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    One and done shot. Call vet.

Need ASAP with temp that low.

What brand of beer are you using?

Is she passing stool?

I’m thinking maybe the wormers WON’T get her back on track - not her rumen at least. Sometimes as goat owners we need to prioritize - I would always make sure rumen is stable before putting chemicals in that kill it - please note this for the future.

Put some yogurt in the alfalfa slurry.

If eye score is a 4 may need red cell.

Can you post whole body pictures please?

Make sure she is on garlic.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Milk of Magnesia will also help bind toxins if you can't get the anti-toxin.

happybleats likes this.
  8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes..get MOM..15 cc per 60 pounds is dose. She needs anemia support as well. Keep a selection of browse foods available for her to choose from. Hope she recovers quickly for you

TCOLVIN likes this.
  9. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    German black beer very dark

I’ve seen her pass stool twice and urinate twice that I have seen. I saw places where you m sure it was her but didn’t see it.

I’ll call vet as soon as I can. It’s the only place (maybe) I can get an anti biotic

Yogurt I’m looking for

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The CD ANTI-TOXIN, is the short term protection. It is refrigerated. I keep it in case of emergencies. Just make sure you wipe the top with an alcohol wipe, let it sit a minute then insert a new needle. Using clean needles and keeping the top clean, you should be able to store it in your fridge quite awhile. That price you said sounds about right.

I give it (anti-toxin) to bottle kids as you never know if they might overeat and get sick. Then at a few months old give the CD toxin to start the long term immunity. But, even with the shots, they can still get clostridial diseases. All the shots do is help to make the body recognize and try to fight the bad toxins.

TCOLVIN likes this.
  11. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Thanks for the explanation. I have had no luck finding it in stock. My vet said he has never used it. I call his house this evening and ask him. Hopefully she is showing a slight improvement.

12. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This evening temp was 102.7f. I gave her probiotics and she ate 60ml of alfalfa slurry. I puréed the alfalfa pellets and added a little ACV and dark molasses. Then I pulled her a good hand full of grass and stems. The swelling in shoulder is gone. I did see her urinate but didn’t see her poop. She still grinding her teeth. Should I give some MOM in the morning before feeding?

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sounds like shes some better. With the grinding of teeth I would go ahead and do MOM.

ksalvagno likes this.
  14. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I did the MOM but I didn’t know the dose. I don’t know why I didn’t ask but I thought I did have any and the wife reminded me I bought a bottle about 6 months ago. I gave about 15-20 ml. It’s cherry flavored.

15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I posted dose above..15 cc per 60 pounds

16. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Should I give it again in the morning?

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    If shes still grinding teeth..I would

18. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Here is some pics yesterday evening I took.
    Do you think maybe if now she was loose with her buddy’s she might do better or I still need her penned up. I will give redcell this morning and more grass, limbs and alfalfa slurry. Also another B Complex shot.
    IMG_3552.jpg IMG_3558.jpg IMG_3554.jpg

19. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    The front right leg is the one that was swollen up but has completely gone down now.

20. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    She is grinding a little. She wants to eat wood, like an old creosote fence post. I gave her 3 oz of slurry, 15ml mom, 15ml redcell, probotics, and cayenne/honey on gums. Also 6 kinds of limbs and her grass She likes. When i left her she was eating some willow and grass. Her temp was 101.7 f

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020