Swollen udder and vulva, please help?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by joshua______, Aug 5, 2020.

1. joshua______

joshua______ Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Can someone please identify what his happening to my doe?
    So i came to check on my goats today and noticed that my 11 month old doe was acting sus. As i went for a closer look i could see that her vulva and udder are swollen. I checked her eyelids and they were white. I drenched her with q drench just for a start but am unsure why she has a swollen udder and vulva it seems to be bothering her abit as she is not keen on walking to far. Shes only a tiny girl and im worried for her?? FYI. My buck runs with the heard all the time. Pics below 230E2D07-6445-4EE0-BD9C-A02FEC4C9EBC.jpeg 228BEC08-21D4-4C35-91A1-EB9A81EF1E61.jpeg 18FFE5DE-9BA9-4722-8CF1-3DFB14BEC3D5.jpeg

Kass likes this.
  2. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    You should remove the buck from the herd unless the plan is to have non stop babies which isn't healthy for your does. Get a wether buddy for him. If her teats and vulva are growing more than likely he bred her.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Remove the buck right away, expect her to be bred and others.

I only have the buck with the does I want bred for at least 2 heat cycles, then he is removed.

Anything under a year old, should not be exposed to the buck.

You can get lute from the vet to abort her and others, if you are worried.

MadHouse and FoxRidge like this.
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    From what I can see..udder is just starting to build? We can see better if you take a pic when she is standing. Get a few pics from behind. Try to show udder. Vulva swelling could be too many visits from the buck. He needs his own space asap. Im not sure I would lute her not knowing how far along she is.

5. joshua______

joshua______ Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Thanks for all the advice, @happybleats @toth boer goats @FoxRidge. I got another pic for @happybleats for when she is standing. She is only tiny about up to my knee and im only 170cm. I really dont think my buck could of breed her especially her being so young but these things happen. F2C24920-9D5D-4E46-8E5A-341362B23E7C.png

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh he can breed her. See it often. And looks like she is indeed building an udder. Her vulva concerns me though..looks like dried blood there at the opening?

7. joshua______

joshua______ Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Yeah the vulva looks a bit odd, what also concerns me is that if she is pregnant and is building a udder she wouldnt be to far away and she doesnt look wide or anything.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    They can start an udder a month or so before kidding. I would wash the vulva off gently..look for cuts or sores..then watch for more blood or junk. If she is bleeding..could have miscarriaged or the buck maybe rough on her. Get her temp as well.
    What wormer did you give her? Are you giving anything for the anemia?

MadHouse and Goataddict like this.
  9. joshua______

joshua______ Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I am currently at work at the moment but will do when i get home. I also wormed her with q drench. And for the anemia i am just giving her mollasses with her food.

happybleats likes this.
  10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    What is q drench?

Molasses is high in Iron but too much can cause scours. Grab some red cell if you can. 6 cc per 100 pounds once a day for a week then once a week until famancha has color.
    30 cc of a acv and water mix will help speed recover along with b12 or b complex shot ..all once a day.

11. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Bucks can breed as early as 6-7 weeks old and does can get pregnant as early as 3-4 months old. Never run them both together. I agree use Red Cell and not the molasses water. Molasses water mix is a great pick me up after kidding but not for actual anemia treatment. Good advice given from others. Remove the buck like as soon as you get home.

MadHouse and goatblessings like this.
  12. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    Costs only $5 per sample to send fecal to MeadowMist. If she is anemic, likely others may be as well. Checking for internal and external parasites are go to #1.

MadHouse and joshua______ like this.
  13. joshua______

joshua______ Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Okay i will grab some red cell on the way home also. I got the link of q drench below
    https://www.jurox.com.au/product/q-drench/
    @FoxRidge thanks for the info i removed the buck straight away when I noticed it.

happybleats and MadHouse like this.
  14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  15. joshua______

joshua______ Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Where are you located? Australia?[/QUOTE]

Yeah i live in Australia, q drench is pretty effective over here.

happybleats likes this.
  16. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    She looks pregnant to me, and pretty far along.

joshua______ likes this.
  17. joshua______

joshua______ Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Okay thanks for all the good info guys. I cant obtain red cell at the moment hopefully i get can some in the next 24 hrs. Do yous think she will be able to have the baby or would there be complications with the size she is ?

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    That is hard to say. Some smaller does do just fine while others do not. You would definitely need to be there for her and have your vet on speed dial.

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Q drench is not available here in the states. You guys down under get all the good stuff first!! ;)

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice.

But you may want a vet to look at her.

She does look preggo and the buck may of gotten false signal with her smell later term preggo with discharge.
    He may of chased her down and forcibly bred her causing damage or even aborted her.

Hopefully the buck is away from the does, especially young doelings. :(

FoxRidge likes this.