Symptoms of abortion...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Erin Guy, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Erin Guy

Erin Guy Active Member

Dec 21, 2019
    North East, MD
    Hey guys/gals....I wanted to know what the symptoms of abortion in goats is? I have a ff and so far she is acting fine. She eats and drinks. I just haven't been able to see her babies kick and move....Is that a sign she has aborted, or am I just in my head?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is not a sign. Many times you never see them kick. My doe had triplets and I never saw movement once. You just need to be patient.

3. Erin Guy

Erin Guy Active Member

Dec 21, 2019
    North East, MD
    Ok, thank you! I know, patience is a virtue. I just never thought of abortion when I was younger and was breeding them for my 4-H projects.

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree, seeing them kick isn't a sign. Is your doe friendly? If so, I've had really good luck waiting until about 10 minutes or so after feeding time, then putting my hand on the bottom of their belly right in front of the udder and waiting. If kids are there, and far enough along then you'll probably feel movement. Not always, but it's worth a try if the doe isn't touchy or doesn't get stressed out.

Otherwise if you really need to know and she isn't showing signs, I would blood test her.

GoofyGoat and Erin Guy like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    With aborting, you may see a blood discharge.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  6. Erin Guy

Erin Guy Active Member

Dec 21, 2019
    North East, MD
    I went out yesterday and felt for kicking, and had luck. I felt a good bit of kicking, and her ligaments are super soft. I am kinda hoping for twins, but If I get triplets I will be more than happy ^_^.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California