The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Friday!

I'm needing some confirmation that I'm on the right track with one of my 6 year old nannies. I'm a goat newbie by the way!

Sarah is a 6 year old nanny who is on week 9 of nursing a couple of extremely healthy kids. We moved all goats to pasture a couple of weeks ago and they have not been receiving bagged grain for a week. (Side note: We had a bad bag of grain that had some mold on it. We threw it all out when we noticed but it is possible they ate the day before we noticed.)

This morning I noticed that she coughed and then on more close inspection noticed a clear-yellow mucus and she is not bleating very well - kind of like a hoarse-sounding bleat. She sounds like she is very uncomfortable but is eating and moving around well. We secluded her in a pen w/ her little ones so we could watch her better.

We gave her 3cc of Nuflor and 5cc of Vit B all IM this morning and plan to continue dosing her with Nuflor 3 more days. I have not taken her temp and plan to do that tomorrow morning but wondered if there is anything you would do in addition?

She is not the best goat to work with so want to check everything all at once when we get her caught.

Thanks for the advice and apologies for the rambling post.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
welcome to goat life : )

I would Def. get that temp...
signs are
off by herself
back arched
tail tucked
depressed acting
usually but not always off feed
eyes are not bright and alert
fever is present
snotty nose
congestion
runs in some cases

also consider Goat polio...if she got into the moldy feed that wil cause polio..thiamine (B 1) is the only treatment Fortified B complex in a pinch..So I would add that and C D Antitoxin to her treatment if she is star gazing..pulling head back..may have the runs... stumbling drunk acting..

one more note...all meds except hormones can be done Sub Q..IM is very painful and not necessary...it does take a bit longer for Sub Q to begin working but not much..

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
I should add that she may not display all symptoms..depends on the virus she may have...how advanced it is and so forth..

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
How much does she weigh? 3cc is a pretty light dose of Nuflor for an adult Boer. I would consider upping that. Need to take the temp. I know it's a pain, but you should consider bringing her and her kids back to confinement to keep a better eye on her for a few days.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
good catch tenna cross..Nuflor is 3 cc per 100#...: )

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
hows your doe today??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is still a mystery!

Today she is even more hoarse than Friday. She has little to no voice...and the following symptoms:

>Temp has consistently been 102.0
>She has been grazing as if nothing is amiss
>I don't know how to describe her poops but they come out in a mass of pellets but very soft.
>She has had 4cc of Nuflor each day (thanks for the info great goat people!)
>She has had 6cc of B1-Thiamine each day
>I gave her 1oz of Nutri-Drench today
>She is drinking fine

She is not allowing her 2 kids to nurse. They were born 3.31.13 so while not happy they are old enough to wean. I am concerned about why she is not allowing them to nurse but everything looks okay - she is not engorged with milk.

We are at a loss as to what is up with her. She is obviously not 100% but other than the lost voice and the sudden weaning of her kids everything else appears normal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
allergies some times will mess with their voice...the granade poop ( kids call it that) could be fresh graze, should firm up as she adjusts to the graze...always feed hay 30-40 minutes prior to letting out to graze to set the rumen up and reduce the chances of bloat and loose stool..probios will help get things straight in the gut..
if all is well temp wise, eating drinking pooping and peeing, bright eye and alert then I would relax with a "watchful" eye on things...
she may have decided to ween her kids when she wasnt feeling well.. milk production drops when they dont eat well and so forth...as long as the kids are eating on their own I wouldnt worry..DO have a fecal done on everyone...mom and kiddos to be sure nothingis lerking...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts