The Goat Spot Forum banner

Synanthic dewormer for lung worm

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  happybleats 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been fighting what I believe is probably lung worm in my heard since the middle of February. It started in on my new doe that I got and it spread from there to every one of the other 6. I have finally found a vet that seems like he knows more than the others and does not treat me like I don't know anything when I call and talk to him and tell him if I researched things. The other vet that I had been dealing with didn't think there was anything wrong with my baby goat, said to feed her more and give her the tetanus toxoid. That same day, I got in touch with this vet and he agreed that I needed the anti-toxin. They have an office in town and then another one 40 minutes away. They didn't have the anti-toxin there, but one of the staff drove to the other office at 5:45 to pick it up and bring it to me even though they were closing at 6. So in other words, I'm in love:) LOL. :D

So to the topic at hand. I called this vet and told him that I really think that I had lungworm but even though I didn't know how much the test to check for it was, I probably didn't have it, and he told me he would have to send it off and yes, it was very expensive. So he done some research because about the wormer for lung worm because I had been trying with the Ivomec and it didn't do ANYTHING. The coughing was just getting worse. So he called me back after contacting the University of Missouri and talking with them and prescribed me the Synanthic. I gave them all a dose on Sunday and today when I was out milking and feeding, there was very little coughing. :cool: He gave me enough for another dose that he said to do in 3 weeks, but now that I have had a chance to do some research (because I have been so swamped with other stuff) I read that for tape worms to do it three days in a row. Now, I know we aren't treating for tapeworms, so do you think this way of administering is ok? Once this time and then another dose in 3 weeks. Or do you think I need to talk to him and see if we need to do it sooner. I'm not sure on the life cycle of lung worms right now. Haven't had a chance to research that either. I'm waiting for a day where the world isn't coming to an end in my life and everything needs done that day. Ugh. But I don't see it coming too soon. LOL. Thanks for reading through all this rambling to get to my question, I just wanted to give you a back story of it a bit.

Tracy Meyer

See less See more
#4 ·
http://goat-link.com/content/view/136/#.Ufx1pGSDQxc

On your wormer..since your vet prescribed it I would get back with him..
You can do your own fecal for lung worm (Goathiker shared this) gather some fresh berries..wrap tight in a piece of gauze, like a hershey kiss ..float in a cup and water over night....if you have lung worm, you should see larve and/or worms in the water..

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.