Synchronizing heat cycles?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Jun 7, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I may have asked this before..not on much since it's summer and there's so much to do. :greengrin:

anyway I was thinking about this fall, I'm using two bucks on 13 does..both are from out of state (White House Boers) (Toth Boer Goats :love: ) hahaha.... :thumb:

and I'd like to determine which does kid first, i'd like them to kid within 2-3 weeks..i know, I'm killing myself here with school and all. But I'm sure I won't be able to get them to all come into estrus at the same time..

I've heard strategies used in sheep- buck the ram in for 2 days, take the ram out for 19 days, and put him back and all of the ewes will come into estrus.. (correct me if i'm off, sheep people), seems easy, but will it work for goats??

there's drugs...lute and such, but I'm not sure if that's the best way...

This last year i just threw the buck in, for 4 weeks. only 6 does got pregnant out of 10, the other 4 weren't paid close enough attention to and they weren't caught on the next cycle, then I wasn't sure when each doe's date was :doh: :GAAH:

so what do you do??? :wink: thanks in advance

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    anyone who has done this before? thnx

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    with my does... it never fails... I have 2 bucks and put one with half the herd and the other with the other half... and botta bing... my does are all in ...with no help... in full blown season really soon after exposer to the bucks.... and all are bred within the same week....... Boy ....and that is.... alot of work when they kid...... it is a constant thing for a while..... :shocked:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hmm, so maybe just keep the does far far away..then suddenly throw the buck in there and they'll think they only have one chance? good idea pam!

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL... :laugh: well... I don't know if it works for all ...this is just the way my does do it.... when we breed..... :shrug: :greengrin:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well mine will probably drag it out... and it will become a fiasco come kidding time

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I feel for ya...hope it all works out for you... when breeding begins..... :hug: :wink: