syringes

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bluecollar, Feb 4, 2008.

1. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I just gave my nigerian dwarfs covexin 8. I trashed the syringes, should all syringes be trashed after use?

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yes all syringes and needles should be disposed of after use and not reused.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I always put the cap back on the needle & trash it.
    I have found it easier to just load up a syringe for each goat & check off who got it as I go.
    Hope this helps!

4. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I have never re-used a syringe, just want to make sure I wasn't being overly cautious.

Thanks for the input.

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Needles and syringes are really cheap and its better to use a new 1 each time and that way you dont cross contaminate the other goats either. I always use new 1's when giving shots. Better safe than sorry any day...

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I boil the syringes for 15 minutes and put them in a clean plasic bag. I throw away the needles.

I only use the cleaned syringes for giving stuff orally after that.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, I am BAD. When I have a lot of goats to give shots to, I will use a syringe, and a needle. When I give the shot, I take off the needle and dispose of it in a Needled can that I mad, and I do use the syringe on the next goat. I will do that until I drop it or get blood or something like that. When I am done with all the goats, then I do dispose of it in the needle can also. I never use two different meds in it.
    Now the ONLY reason I do this is my vet said that was OK to do as long as I do not drop it or it gets dirty. :shrug:

8. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    We've boiled before when we were running out and didn't have time before our order came in.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i re use my syringes but not my neeldes. I write on them so i only put one type of medicine in the, never mix it up. they may be cheap but when you are buying a lot of needles and syringes it can get expensive. A box of a hndred needles costs me twenty five dollars, i go through two to three boxes a year.
    beth

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Lori I can't see why that would be an issue - especially if the vet said it is ok.