The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just gave my nigerian dwarfs covexin 8. I trashed the syringes, should all syringes be trashed after use?

·
14,615 Posts
I always put the cap back on the needle & trash it.
I have found it easier to just load up a syringe for each goat & check off who got it as I go.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never re-used a syringe, just want to make sure I wasn't being overly cautious.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Needles and syringes are really cheap and its better to use a new 1 each time and that way you dont cross contaminate the other goats either. I always use new 1's when giving shots. Better safe than sorry any day...

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I boil the syringes for 15 minutes and put them in a clean plasic bag. I throw away the needles.

I only use the cleaned syringes for giving stuff orally after that.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
OK, I am BAD. When I have a lot of goats to give shots to, I will use a syringe, and a needle. When I give the shot, I take off the needle and dispose of it in a Needled can that I mad, and I do use the syringe on the next goat. I will do that until I drop it or get blood or something like that. When I am done with all the goats, then I do dispose of it in the needle can also. I never use two different meds in it.
Now the ONLY reason I do this is my vet said that was OK to do as long as I do not drop it or it gets dirty. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
i re use my syringes but not my neeldes. I write on them so i only put one type of medicine in the, never mix it up. they may be cheap but when you are buying a lot of needles and syringes it can get expensive. A box of a hndred needles costs me twenty five dollars, i go through two to three boxes a year.
beth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts