The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When tagging kids do you tag commercial or percentage bucklings? We have one tag color for purebred& fullblood & one color for percentage but I was thinkin of not tagging percentage bucklings just because they are either goin to the sale or will be a wether show

·
Super Moderator
59,325 Posts
Since I'm not familiar with Boer goat, why do you tag them? If it is for registration purposes and you aren't registering them, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
There is no right or wrong for personal tags. You can tag none or all, it’s up to you. Personally I tag everything, it doesn’t matter if they are commercial or fullbloods. It’s easier for my records and also easier when selling I can say #1 is for sale, it’s info is blah blah. And so on and when a buyer has a question it’s easier then “that black one with the little bit of white on the back leg”. But it’s up to you on what system you want to do ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no right or wrong for personal tags. You can tag none or all, it's up to you. Personally I tag everything, it doesn't matter if they are commercial or fullbloods. It's easier for my records and also easier when selling I can say #1 is for sale, it's info is blah blah. And so on and when a buyer has a question it's easier then "that black one with the little bit of white on the back leg". But it's up to you on what system you want to do ;)
True! I didn't even think about that. I had custom tags made with our name, herd management # & scrapie id

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ok so basically they are scrapies tags. You need to check your stats rules. Most states wethers and registered animals (with tattoos) are exempt. If a buckling doesn’t have tattoos, most likely you will need the tag in him. But make totally sure of your rules. Also a lot of fairs still want a scrapies tag for the market wethers. What I do with my scrapies tags is I don’t put them in until I know for sure they need them. Then I cut out my cheap personal tag and replace with a scrapies tag.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so basically they are scrapies tags. You need to check your stats rules. Most states wethers and registered animals (with tattoos) are exempt. If a buckling doesn't have tattoos, most likely you will need the tag in him. But make totally sure of your rules. Also a lot of fairs still want a scrapies tag for the market wethers. What I do with my scrapies tags is I don't put them in until I know for sure they need them. Then I cut out my cheap personal tag and replace with a scrapies tag.
I may just end up tagging everyone. I had our scrapie number put on just So I wouldn't have to double tag. I hate there are so many different rules. Let's just make them all the same & be done

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You can do that too. Actually a lot of people do it that way. Mainly I don’t use scrapies tags as my personal IDing because it’s too hard for me to see all those numbers lol but the tags are yours so you do it how ever is easiest for you. I would still make sure what your rules are in your state. I’m pretty sure it’s the same for every state, but I would hate to tell you that and be wrong.

·
14,774 Posts
I'd tag per Scrapie rules especially anything leaving your farm. We Scrapie tag anything that is not registered, and tattoo those who are registered. If a buyer wants a scrapie tag for a registered goat, then we'll do it at their request, but otherwise we don't tag registered Boer goats since the tattoo is acceptable. But I know different states/areas have different requirements. Always stick to the rules then go from personal preference after that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I tag everything, in the past I have just used the state issued scrapies tags but they are no longer providing them free of charge so I will be ordering personalized scrapies tags this year from Premier1.

So many of the boer kids look similar when they are young and can be difficult to tell apart, especially for my husband or kids. The tags make it easier if someone is helping me handle the animals and keeping track of who is who

1 - 14 of 14 Posts