The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Firestone Farm
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking for a tagging method. I recently bought a registered doe that has a tag with the previous owners herd prefix on it. Curious as to how you have those made or if there are requirements for those? I’ve seen things about VID/EID tags. Anyone have experience with any of this?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You can get them made at premier1. But you don't HAVE to put any tag in. Also you can buy blank tags and just write them in. The only type of tags that you can NOT do this with is scrapies tags.
But If you want tags you can do whatever system you want to have. So mine is fairly simple. Blue tags to boys, pink to girls. That way when someone sees pictures or wants to come look at kids it's easy to pin point the sex they are after. Number wise, again very simple. The first kid born is 1 so I write a 1 on it. Second will be 2 and so on and so forth. So that will also play as their tattoo as well. That way I don't have to keep track and I don't have to think about what numbers I have used and haven't used because I also sell wethers. Because I have more bucks then I should and I'm getting older and loosing my mind lol I will also write dam and sire on it. It also helps me not have to keep my bookwork with me or remember numbers so I can go back and look so see who the dam is. So this, if you can make it out is my tagging system
IMG_1752.jpg

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
That looks like a scrappies tag there, it is mandatory, if you are bringing a goat in from out of state, when buying and selling, or if a goat is not registered.

Also auctions require them for selling.

I don't know if you are asking about just regular tagging system for ID.

I tag because I have many kids, if you do not want to tag the goats and know who is who, I wouldn't.
Have had torn ears from them getting the tags caught here and there.
It is very frustrating. :(

·
Firestone Farm
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks like a scrappies tag there, it is mandatory, if you are bringing a goat in from out of state, when buying and selling, or if a goat is not registered.

Also auctions require them for selling.

I don't know if you are asking about just regular tagging system for ID.

I tag because I have many kids, if you do not want to tag the goats and know who is who, I wouldn't.
Have had torn ears from them getting the tags caught here and there.
It is very frustrating. :(
With registered goats, do you have to tattoo if you don't tag?

·
8,161 Posts
If you are not showing or selling, you don't have to tattoo, but most registeries do require you to tattoo before you send in the papers.

My lamanchas can't get tattooed until the tail is big enough to tat.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
No you still have to have a permanent marker on the animal for IDing registered animals. So even if you put a tag in they must be tattooed, I’m not sure on the microchip but I think you can now do that instead of the tattooing. Don’t take my word on it. But basically a tag can easily be removed, cutting a ear off or digging out a microchip you can not. A ear tag (not a scrapies tag) is for YOUR personal use only. I forgot to fill out the tattoo part on a application but did put the tag number in and it was sent back with a letter stating it MUST have a permanent tattoo.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you're selling boers for show they will have to have a scrapie tag in before you sell them. You can contact the ag department for your state to see about scrapie tags. Some breeders do have scrapie tags with their names printed on them but I'm not sure where they get those.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you're selling boers for show they will have to have a scrapie tag in before you sell them. You can contact the ag department for your state to see about scrapie tags. Some breeders do have scrapie tags with their names printed on them but I'm not sure where they get those.
Only if they are not registered. The ABGA is one of many registries whose tattoos are seen as official ID for the scrapies program. We put scrapies tags on all of our sold show wethers and commercial stock, since they don't have an ABGA ID number.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_h...rapie/downloads/approval_registry_tattoos.pdf

·
14,760 Posts
I agree with CountyLineAcres - if breeding Boer goats you can use your ABGA tattoo as official ID. We used to tag & tattoo all our babies, and for the last few years we've stopped doing that. We tattoo anything that is registered or sells with application for registration. Anything sold as commercial or if buyer is leaning towards not registering then we will do a tag. I've had buyers randomly ask for a tag to be put in. So it really can be preference as to how you want to do it.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Lada823 do you mean showing at the fair? Some fairs they flat out tell you sucks to be you put a scrapies tag in a registered animal. Our fair does that. I have head butted with them many times and have been told we don’t need to bring our animals to the fair if we don’t want to put a tag in.
Anyways they do have free scrapies tags you can sign up for but they are no longer the plastic ones but the small metal ones. I’m not a fan of those. They get infected easily and if you put them in a young goat the edge of the ear ends up growing into the tag. I get mine from primer1. Look at their tags and they will tell you which ones are able to have scrapies info on them. You can also look up allflex. But I went with primer because it’s not much more and I have my scrapies info on the front and my name and number on the back. That way any kid I sold to has my info right there if they need anything. Again that part is a personal choice. You can put anything on the back side

·
Registered
227 Posts
Only if they are not registered. The ABGA is one of many registries whose tattoos are seen as official ID for the scrapies program. We put scrapies tags on all of our sold show wethers and commercial stock, since they don't have an ABGA ID number.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_h...rapie/downloads/approval_registry_tattoos.pdf
Right. I should have been more specific. I was thinking market wethers at county fairs and such, not abga shows.

Lada823 do you mean showing at the fair? Some fairs they flat out tell you sucks to be you put a scrapies tag in a registered animal. Our fair does that. I have head butted with them many times and have been told we don't need to bring our animals to the fair if we don't want to put a tag in.
Anyways they do have free scrapies tags you can sign up for but they are no longer the plastic ones but the small metal ones. I'm not a fan of those. They get infected easily and if you put them in a young goat the edge of the ear ends up growing into the tag. I get mine from primer1. Look at their tags and they will tell you which ones are able to have scrapies info on them. You can also look up allflex. But I went with primer because it's not much more and I have my scrapies info on the front and my name and number on the back. That way any kid I sold to has my info right there if they need anything. Again that part is a personal choice. You can put anything on the back side
Our county fair requires identification on all goats. We take our lamanchas and just use their tattoo number when we register them for the show. But the market wethers have scrapie tags.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I’m an ABGA member and I have goats registered with ABGA, USBGA, and MDGA.

I was told if the animal will be sold at anytime regardless of if it is registered or not a scrapie tag is required. I also know different states have different rules applying to scrapie tags as well. We live in Idaho.

We tattoo, one ear with our herd prefix, the other ear gets the year letter and I usually use the scrapie tag #. If it’s 024, I will typically leave the 0 off.
If I know I’m keeping a kid born here for my breeding stock typically I do not tag it. I may tattoo it with the herd prefix but that’s about it. We have had torn ears as well, and I have found that the side with the metal tip sometimes will cause a sore on the goat if it gets butted by another goat too many times. So when we tag we put the metal tip out away from the goats face.
Currently our herd is 12 goats and 4 kids.
For larger operations I can definitely see why tagging would be necessary.
I also, am trying to be a better record keeper. This yr when the kids were born, I got photos of them all with their dam so I know who belonged to who.
I also purchased a pretty hard cover journal and we are writing everything g down in it that happens on our ranch including dates. Then we have all our records written in it and can use it as a reference later if we encounter situations and wonder how we managed or dealt with it down the road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts