The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so.
i have shearwell scrapie ID tags....just not a tagger. we thought they'd work with our pig tagger but they do not. i dont really like these tags because it seems like they could easily get caught on things so i'm considering dumping these and getting different ID tags.

my problem: they need to be tagged to bring to the 4H fair next week. i have no tag applicator. I dont have time to order new tags. Amazon has one, but its not prime and wont be here till July 1st-10th and they need to be tagged by teh 29th.

Is there a different tagger that the tags would work with?? i dont know what to do really....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, forgot to say. I borrowed a "Dayton Ky 505" applicator from friends that they thought might work with the tags. its a little small for the tags, but i think it would work as a clamp if we have a couple people holding the goats head/ear still. Do you guys think that would be okay? or no?

·
8,501 Posts
What kind of goats are you talking about? If they are dairy, and registered, you can tattoo them with your ADGA issued tattoo. At our
County fair- only the meat (terminal) goats have to have the scrapie tag in their ear. The rest can be tattooed if there are registration papers
with that tattoo listed on them. Ears or tails (lamanchas) . Tattoos are so much easier in the long run.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of goats are you talking about? If they are dairy, and registered, you can tattoo them with your ADGA issued tattoo. At our
County fair- only the meat (terminal) goats have to have the scrapie tag in their ear. The rest can be tattooed if there are registration papers
with that tattoo listed on them. Ears or tails (lamanchas) . Tattoos are so much easier in the long run.
Mine are alpines. they said we need some kind of identification...idky. maybe in case animals get mixed up? or maybe they've had problems with two kids claiming the same animal?? doesnt seem right cuz everybody you meet in 4H is super sweet and helpful...who knows. Mine are not registered. My buck is registered, but i bought my 2 original does unregistered and havent bought another doe. I do technically have an ADGA tattoo, can i put it on unregistered goats?

For now we got it worked out. We should have just called shearwell in the first place....the order form that u get says it will take 2-4 weeks to get there. When we got that it was too late for the 2 weeks...well we tried the different tagger and the tagger we already had but neither of them worked...it was impossible to get the tag lined up so it when in the right spot even with having two people..the goat moved around too much so we knew it wouldnt work. my dad called shearwell to order one to get here asap, they didnt charge us anything extra for shipping fee that you pay for it to get there in 2-4 weeks and it will get here on Saturday. 🤞 we were hoping to not have to buy one and just get different tags for the others but oh well....hopefully they'll work okay and it will get here on time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't tag my dairy goats. Well they are lamancha so tagging is pretty impossible but also you aren't really supposed to tag them. If they are tattooed that should be sufficient.

·
14,730 Posts
Are there any goat groups on Facebook in your area? If so, get a picture of the exact tag that you have and post on the groups and see if anyone in your area has a tagger that would work to help you get your fair goats tagged. I'm honestly not even sure what your tags look like. We still have some old standard scrapie tags from when I ordered them from our KY office years ago. Sadly, I'll be in the same boat next year when I will need to order tags. We stopped tagging our breeding goats and just tattoo them so our tags have lasted us a long time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts