The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everbody!!! I know that I have talked about this before on here, but that was way back in the day when I had only 2 goats. We are nearing 20 and I wanted to get some advice so that I can address some issues with my herd.

Today I was generously given 2 beautiful tog/alpine crosses and they are absolutely stunning, show quality. Looking at them next to my herd I noticed that with the majority of my herd, the tails are down, and they are frayed/fishtailed.

They get unlimited hay, free choice mineral, and graining once per day.

Somebody once said it was because they needed copper, and I was sent some of those copper bolus pills. I can't remember if it worked.

I also wormed them a few months ago with ivermectin, but I just ordered some Cydectin today to try out.

What do I need to do to get my goats looking shiny, tails up, and unfrayed?

I am having 6 more goats delivered to me from VT this weekend and I need to address these issues ASAP.

Any advice?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Well, it could be copper deficiency again; I've just been dealing with that in my herd, so I'm all aware of it right now. You might could be feeding higher quality feed, or consider adding some things to their diet, such as BOSS, alfalfa and kelp. I understand that BOSS(black oil sunflower seed) is very good for getting shiny coats, and helping with dry skin. I've seen a big improvement in my goats' coats since I started feeding BOSS and did the copper bolus.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Copper is most likely needed...I copper bolus twice a year, it take a while for copper def. to be corrcted and for goats to improve
also have a fecal done to be sure your wormer is working....ivomec plus and Valabzen are the only wormers effective against liver fluke, so knowing what worms if any are causing problems hep you choose wormer that works...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now I am feeding general sweet feed from TSC because it was traded to me for something. I am switching over to TSC goat feed.. How does everyone feel about it?

Also, I will buy some bolus from Valley Vet, but I don't want to get the goat size because I feel they are overcharging for the quantity. Can I give them these instead without risk of killing them?

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87c3c9-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Yes you can give those but you have to break them down...1 gram per 22 # of goat weight or 1 cc per 60# of goat weight...you can either repackage them in smaller capsuls or use a syringe..cut the tip all the way off..fill with correct amount of rods and top it with probios paste to hold the rods in and drench.(learned that from goatspot).I always do a water chaser to be sure it gets washed down..some hide the rods in marshmallows or bread..everyone has a trick : )

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
The other methods I'm sure work great; I did what someone on here told me: I measured the right amount and mixed with mashed banana - they inhaled it that way, well most of them anyway. They all wouldve, but i had never fed them bananas before, so the young ones had to figure out what it was first, then they liked it. I think you're just supposed to make sure they don't chew the rods.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
use the sryinge method...it goes down the hatch and follow with a syringe of water to wash it all down..: )

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I wish there was a way I could just force it down their throats. They are going to chew the rods if I put it in marshmellow. None of them have ever had bananna, lol. I think this is going to turn into a fiasco!
None of our older does had had banana before either, but they pretty much know that anything coming from the house is good eats, so they gobbled them up. I think the young ones were just more skeptical since they were less experienced, lol.
But I would rather do the method happybleats suggested; I think it would be a lot easier.

·
558 Posts
I know I have read before about the fish tail being a sign of copper deficiency, but is having the tail down also a sign?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts