The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids start showing again in a week or two depending on what show they want to do first.

They have 2 babies who are almost 6 weeks old, so they will be real close to 2mo for their first show <Boer>.
Not sure how long the shows will last, some are 4-5 hours and some are longer.
Both babies are drinking water, eating hay and grain.

Do we take mom or not? I've been debating this for a few days, and not sure what we should do. Ideally, I'd like to leave her home, but at the same time I think it would be less stressful on the kids if we took her with us. Yet, the kids are used to the older kids who would be going.
I also wasn't sure if that is too long to keep them away from mom at that age? They can always ride in the back of the SUV so my kids can keep an eye on them ;)

·
1,524 Posts
IS there a safe secure place Mom could be while her kids, and you, are gone?

I always kept the does and kids together when I used to show. If I was showing the dam, the kids went. If I was showing the kids, the dams went.

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
I think mom and kids would be happier with each other...as long as there is room for all...it is stressy no matter what but being removed from mom will add to that and like LIz said...mom too..

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I think in order for the to do well in the show they need to have mom close by. The stress would make it so hard on them during the show.

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Everyone! We should have room for her on the trailer, but not room for the kids to be 'with' her, she'd have to be in with 2 other yearlings.
But, the babies can ride in the back of the SUV so they don't get bullied by the older kids. When we get to the show's we can always shift things around so they can be with mom <most shows have pens we can use>.
We made sure she has her health paper, so that's not a problem.

·
14,615 Posts
Great idea, they'll be ok for the transport.
It has never been a problem to bring a dam with young kids on her even if she herself is not going to be shown.

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Nancy. Yep, kids don't plan to show her, she's really thin from nursing kids, plus she's never been a very thick/meaty doe even though she's a fullblood. Hard keeper, IMO. But we'll see how she bounces back after having kids. She had triplets, but one is a bottle baby.

I think I can fix the trailer so the kids can stay with her rather than taking them in the back of the SUV. I'll have to try to work on it tomorrow, weather permitting. It's one of those things where I need to put everyone on there and figure out how much room they really need LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts