The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I bought 2 Nigerian dwarf does that I adore from afar! They will be a year old in Dec. They ran with a herd that the seller said was closed and negative for CL, CAE, and Johne’s. They may be pregnant. I would love to know for sure whether they are or not but I’m not sure about the stress I would cause them in catching and restraining them to get blood. I did manage to collar one but they definitely do not want to be touched. They will approach me tentatively and reach toward my outstretched hand. They are also starting to lay down with my other does. Should I let the blood test go and focus on gaining their trust or go ahead with their CDT and BoSE and try to draw blood? If they are pregnant would it help to tame the kids if the two of them were penned up so that we could have close contact even though they don’t like it? I don’t like the idea of selling wild babies...I’ve had them for 1 month. I can accept that I am probably rushing them but all of you know the anxiety and longing that comes from wondering... The girl I bought them from said she didn’t see them in heat but being that they were pastured I’m not sure it wouldn’t be easy to miss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recently I bought 2 Nigerian dwarf does that I adore from afar! They will be a year old in Dec. They ran with a herd that the seller said was closed and negative for CL, CAE, and Johne's. They may be pregnant. I would love to know for sure whether they are or not but I'm not sure about the stress I would cause them in catching and restraining them to get blood. I did manage to collar one but they definitely do not want to be touched. They will approach me tentatively and reach toward my outstretched hand. They are also starting to lay down with my other does. Should I let the blood test go and focus on gaining their trust or go ahead with their CDT and BoSE and try to draw blood? If they are pregnant would it help to tame the kids if the two of them were penned up so that we could have close contact even though they don't like it? I don't like the idea of selling wild babies...I've had them for 1 month. I can accept that I am probably rushing them but all of you know the anxiety and longing that comes from wondering... The girl I bought them from said she didn't see them in heat but being that they were pastured I'm not sure it wouldn't be easy to miss.
If they're already scared of you, I don't see an issue with catching them for shots/blood draw. They'll warm up to you either way if you give them sunflower seeds or other treats with scratches a few times aday. Vaccines and BoSe (&Copper) are definitely more important than delaying the taming process.

In terms of the kids, unless you're bottlefeeding and raising them seperately, the behavior of their mothers will likely influence the kids personalities, but I'd just work with the treats and other contact with them on a regular basis.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definitely try that. I guess I would rather be able to approach friendly goats that aren't pregnant rather than not being able to touch wild moms AND wild kids!
If they're already scared of you, I don't see an issue with catching them for shots/blood draw. They'll warm up to you either way if you give them sunflower seeds or other treats with scratches a few times aday. Vaccines and BoSe (&Copper) are definitely more important than delaying the taming process.

In terms of the kids, unless you're bottlefeeding and raising them seperately, the behavior of their mothers will likely influence the kids personalities, but I'd just work with the treats and other contact with them on a regular basis.

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
I agree..catch them and do what you have to, blood draw, shots and hooves etc..then, I would pen them in a smaller area. An area you can easily catch them if needed but plenty of space to move around in. Spend lots of time with them. Feed them, fresh water..bring a treat..raisins, shelled unsalted peanuts, animal cookies, apple slices etc. Catch and hold them..speak softly while stroking their cheeks..when they relax, give them a treat and let them go. move gentle around them but don't tip toe..be normal in your actions so they get used to that. My kids would go and lay in the pen and just be still..goats would come to inspect them lol..I have tamed many this way but have had a few that never tamed up. Sent them to a new home and low and behold, they turned to lap babies..sometimes it happens lol. And Im over joyed we found them a place they can be at peace in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't act tentative when you do the vaccines, blood draws etc. It seems like if you tiptoe around shots and such, they freak out more than just matter of factly doing it.
Thanks for the advice! Luckily the two does I had previously don't mind my loving on them; I do need to exercise some patience here! I should have mentioned I've had them for 2 weeks!

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts

You have some good advice already. I jus wanna add.... i would wait til a month before kidding (when you see udder start to develop since you dont have an actual due date) to do cdt. It will give the kids some immunity until theirs. :).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have some good advice already. I jus wanna add.... i would wait til a month before kidding (when you see udder start to develop since you dont have an actual due date) to do cdt. It will give the kids some immunity until theirs. :).
Thank you! I feel better after the feedback I have gotten. Both of them took a corn chip from my hand today! My heart was pounding with glee...

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
And in only 2 weeks, well done!

But "the seller said was closed and negative for CL, CAE, and Johne's" -- what do you others say, is that enough?

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Thank you! I feel better after the feedback I have gotten. Both of them took a corn chip from my hand today! My heart was pounding with glee...
Yay! That is awesome! I remember when ours first would take a treat and let us really rub on them good.... best feelin ever! Then they became love monger terrors hahahhahaha!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts