The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had horses all my life. Once you "Imprint" at birth, they are much more friendly and open to walk up to you. We have only had these goats 2 weeks. All the adults are pretty skittish unless you have food in hand. Then, last Saturday an unexpected baby was born and I just love her to death. For the first couple of day sbefore she could get around good I could just walk up to her and pick her up no problem. Now that she can run lightning fast, it is next to impossible to catch her. I am lost. The more you try to catch her the faster she runs...I wish she would faint like her mom because that makes it easy. Finally after 2 days of no contact I tricked her tonight and caught her. I just don't think that is the way to do it. She is too young to like carrots or grain yet...any hints??:horse:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a 10 x 10 dog lot that I think we are going to start putting them in to feed and also to introduce new goats to the herd with.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sit down somewhere low to the ground, and wait for her curiosity to overcome her fear. If your goats are anything like ours, you'll have a baby in your lap in no time.

·
also known as Mayia real life Cheri
1,672 Posts
yep , sit down and ignore her - they can't stand it - don't grab at her, let her approach you

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
Wear a camo shirt, they can't help but come to taste all the colors on it :lol:
I imprint my baby goats much the same as you do a horse. It does take a bit longer than foals though, usually about 3 days.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep , sit down and ignore her - they can't stand it - don't grab at her, let her approach you
Thanks for the advice. I have been sitting down and waiting for her to come to me and then grabbing her. :) Maybe I should just let her check me out more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sit down somewhere low to the ground, and wait for her curiosity to overcome her fear. If your goats are anything like ours, you'll have a baby in your lap in no time.
I hope she is in my lap soon! I want her to stay friendly like the rest of them. She runs like a crazy lady even if you crouch down really slow and try to touch her.

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,272 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have been sitting down and waiting for her to come to me and then grabbing her. :) Maybe I should just let her check me out more.
Stop grabbing her, just give it time and let her explore you. Start with just a quick pet here and there...she'll probably run away at first, just let her go. Her curiosity will win her over and she'll keep coming back. :thumbup:

As she gets more comfortable with you, she will spend more time getting pets and scritches and treats. It may take weeks before she stops running every time you move, just hang in there! Don't worry, soon you will be tired of her climbing all over you every time you sit down!!! :laugh:

Oh yeah, if you give mom some special munchies she'll want to hang around you, which will give baby confidence to explore you more.

Have fun!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stop grabbing her, just give it time and let her explore you. Start with just a quick pet here and there...she'll probably run away at first, just let her go. Her curiosity will win her over and she'll keep coming back. :thumbup:

As she gets more comfortable with you, she will spend more time getting pets and scritches and treats. It may take weeks before she stops running every time you move, just hang in there! Don't worry, soon you will be tired of her climbing all over you every time you sit down!!! :laugh:

Oh yeah, if you give mom some special munchies she'll want to hang around you, which will give baby confidence to explore you more.

Have fun!!
FANTASTIC CritterCarnival! I can't wait!

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
Their favorite spot is scratching between their horn area, scratch her there, she will back up,at first, but will think about it and want more. Leave your hand and fingers up there were you just scratched her and she may come back for more. I make the scratching motion and they do approach it wanting more. Talk softly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update, I have been following your recommendations and sure enough she is coming around. She is not jumping in my lap yet, but she is allowing me to feed her by hand some grain and then pet her head, neck and sides. She is still not crazy about being picked up at all.

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,272 Posts
Woot, congrats. Hang in there, it'll just keep on getting better with time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts